1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

You know your lawn customer is rich when.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gobblet, Apr 18, 2007.

1. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

When their dog has it's own 07 Toyota Prius. Their 11 year old St. Bernard is getting old and having trouble getting to the acupuncturist, needs a car that sits low to the ground. Does anybody have any stories of customers spending alot of money on things besides lawn issues.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

When they hire a contractor to build them a 2-car garage and shed which, by the time it is completed looks about the size and cost of my own house LOL. Ok, a little bit smaller but not by much, and yeah, 2 stories, with its own heat pump and even a sidewalk.

Or when they tell me they own their own business, and here I am thinking 'Oh no here we go again, another wannabe trying to rip me off,' but then it turns out they own a big name franchise store, and later find out they have at least 2 other locations lol.

Because you never know for sure, just because they live in a big house half the time don't mean nothing.
    But those are the kind make me go 'DOH'
  3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

A friend of mine told of a house he is working on. It is the 'guest' house, being built out behind the pool house. All he is doing is trim work around the windows, doors, and cabinets, and moldings, etc. His work alone will be over 250k when completed.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

has a 2007 $45k F350 and aluminum/chrome gooseneck trailer they use once a month to pull around horses and then a Range Rover and Toyota Sequia as daily drivers
  6. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Ya I had a customer with a helicopter in the backyard. Peacocks and a horses also.

Another house I did (window cleaning) was owned by the leader of the Spartans or bravos (I forget), a motorcycle gang. He had an elevator going to the third floor and a turret with surround windows. (paid cash)
  7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We knew our one customer was rich when they owned a 3 million dollar house on 2 acres in potomac maryland. Had a new ferrari, land rover, 3 mercedes and some other odd car. Had a tennis court, basketball court and olympic swimming pool in its own building. They invited my father in one day so they could cut him a check and he declined because he was dirty. He asked them what they do (nice people that liked to chat) and come to find out this guy and his parents own oil wells (go figure).
  8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

My customer across the street took my parents and me out to dinner in Wichita last weekend as a late christmas gift. He also showed us 2 of the 3 locations of his store (sells sewing machines and vacs). He has been in business like 50 years in one of the locations downtown, while the other is relatively new in a shopping center in the suburbs. He even had a local holiday in his name celebrating his success as a businessman in Wichita.
  9. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

One of my clients is a retired Exxon Oil Rep. I've seen it all.
  10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

41 acres....1 main house....a guest house(just as big as the mansion house)....a pool house with yes a huge pool....a barn.....and 3 ponds that rival being called lakes....and they ask us to call first so they can open the gate at the entrance