You like 72" stripes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I have been thinking about getting a 72" cutting machine but.. that means I would have to get a new trailer to fit it in.

I have seen a couple of lawns that LCOs use a 72" deck and it doen't look right to me (edit: stripes look too wide).. even on 2 acre props. Customers may not like it either. This is kinda holding me back from getting one.

What's your opinion?

2. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

This is just my opinion, but I like 72" stripes. The wider, and brighter, the better. I don't own a 72" yet, but one is planned for spring.

3. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

How big are the propertys you are going to be using it on?

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Most of my properties are between 1-2 acres. I have a few that are 10,000 sf but I have a 50" walkbehind I can use on those.

5. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

On propertys that size i think the 72 would be fine:)

6. JEFF ZALMANOFF

JEFF ZALMANOFF LawnSite Member

I have a 72 inch toro it cuts great all my customers love it . on long 5-6-7 acre lawns the stripes look super , jeff

7. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

So are you saying you don't want to get the 72 because of the damn stripes OR how about your PRODUCTIVITY, rate of pay, profitability and income?

If those 1-2 acre properties you can get done XX faster with a 72 compared to a 50, and you can justify the cost after however many cuts or seasons, than do it.. :)

Gary

8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Anybody have some pics of the difference between 72" and say 62" and maybe even 52" stripes. I'd like to see the difference and see what I like better. I know I like stripes at least 42" wide, smaller than that and they look crowded.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

TSG,

I really don't think you'll like 72" stripes on that small of properties.

I experimented with that idea earlier this season on a larger open property. I cut with a 42" lawn tractor and decided to run double passes each way with overlap which produced a 72" stripe. I thought after laying the pattern the 1st time I'd be able to shave a little turning time off and get done quicker.

I never cut it that way again! Ugh!!! :nono:
    Stripes that wide are only for large open properties with plenty of distance between structures and property lines. Properties over 2 acres.

For my taste, stripe width should be in proper ratio to property size and openess. 42" stripes look too narrow on an open acre but look great on an acre w/house and moderate landscaping. I think 52" is best all around and wouldn't go over 60"- 62" peroid.

Just my 2 cents!

10. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

72" stripes.................Lynn

knapheide east.jpg