YOU"LL NEVER MAKE IT !!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by pbillings, Oct 25, 2004.

1. pbillings

pbillings LawnSite Member

Boy ! My family sure knows how to offer support. I've been getting hit with things like, " THERE'S NO MONEY IN LAWN CARE, YOUR STUPID IF YOU QUIT YOUR JOB, YOU'LL NEVER MAKE IT, YOUR GONNA FAIL, ETC:" My father keeps telling my wife to talk me out of it. My wife tells him that " He'll do fine, It's what we want to do." I've been getting bombarded with statements like that. It really gets you thinking that, Wow, what if I do fail, then , what am I gonna do. I can't wait till march. I am pumped to start this business. I have been researching like crazy. I've been working on my days off with a friend who has his own lawn biz. He's been coaching me and I've learned alot with him and this website. I know it can be a profitable business. I know how to work hard and talk to people. :dizzy: With all this nonsupport, I keep double guessing myself :cry: . I'm sure everybody out there knows how I'm feeling. I'm not gonna let anybody get in my way and talk me out of this. It's my life. If I screw it up it's my own fault and their will be nobody to blame but me. I WILL MAKE THIS WORK :angry: . I hope whoever reads this thread will give me a little satifaction that I'm not the only one who gets this type of nonsupport :help: .........................................Paul

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul,

I can relate to what you are going through in a limited way. I am planning on quitting my job to start this full time spring of '05. I have like you been really "hitting the books", asking questions, and planning so I can start from the most solid foundation I possibly can. I have the support of a great wife, my grandfather (started and ran a molten iorn castings foundry for ovr 50 years), and my in-laws (ran their own business for over 35 years).

Now my father, who just retired from the same company I work for is not at all on board with what I want to do and future expansion plans, i.e. landscape & green house. I get the same from him, stupid if you quit your job, health ins., retirement, blah, blah, blah. He is completely aware that I have these particular things he is concerned about covered but then he just rants about something else like people will write you bad checks, employees will screw you, more blah, blah, blah, you sound like you already know what I mean.

My take on this is if all people had this attitude there would be no businesses getting started, and how the heck will I know how successful I will be in starting this unless I just do it? I am a christian man of strong faith, convictions and belief in my Lord (relax ladies and gentelman this does not mean I'm out to send a bible to each and everyone of you, its way deeper than tha, its personal :) ) My wife and I always pray and seek the divine guidance of the Lord when making a major decision, (planning, researching, and asking questions does not hurt either) I ask myself to seek whats in my heart, does it seem right or wrong? If there is even a sliver of doubt then it very likely is wrong. However this for me is not the case now, the desire to start my own business is an urge, desire, call it what you will that I simply cannot and will not ignore anymore, the desire to succeed is equally as strong for me. Sure I get nervous about the prospectof doing this but scared? not one doggone bit!! I feel that if you have truly searched inside yourself Paul and have the love and support of your wife then you have just raised the chances of your success exponetially.

Leave you with something the CPA told my wife and I when we met with him last week "I really like how you two are on the same page and committed to this togethor, I see couples all the time where one is commited to starting a business and the other is not, one of two things usually happens, they start the business and fail miserably or do not start and the relationship fails." Not sure exactly yet how that fit in,,,,,buuutt it may make me feel better when getting his hour and a half consultation bill ha hah hhah.
    Listen to your heart, use your brain, and keep your wife happy.

G-P

3. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Funny, I make waaaaaaaay more than all those people that talked that way when I first started too. :drinkup: :waving: :waving: :waving:

4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

pbillings,
    Just all the more motivation for you to go out and work hard to succeed. Don't let it get you down, $5 says that if you were going to open your own CPA office they'd tell you the same thing. Don't know if this is the case in your situation, but some people get jealous of others that try to start their own business or do things they're scared of attemping themselves. They may be afraid that you could be a success in your own business and they're stuck working for someone else.

But keep this in mind...if the business does not make it, don't put your tail between your legs. Fail or succeed and you'll be a better person because of it. A man named Walt Disney failed in business 6 times before he made it...I think his legacy & empire will live for quite a while.

Good luck! Work hard, do quality work, pay attention to details, and use some common sense and you should do just fine.

Buck

5. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Man, I understand what you're going through! I've been looking for a different business to be in, and I (me, personally) had decided to give lawn care a try. Between LawnSite and a couple of Sean Adams publications, I think I've got a pretty good handle on the "how-to" of it all.

Today, though, I mentioned it to my wife what my plans were. I was waiting for "That's got to be the stupidest thing I've heard in all my life!" But what she said was "Whatever business you want to be in, if it's lawn care, or garbage man, I'll support you one hundred percent."

I have to say that it just about brought a tear to my eye. I am so thankful that God led me to this woman! So now that I'm "out of the closet" so to speak, I can start doing my thinking out loud.

The rest of my family: well, I love them a bunch, and they feel the same about me, but I'm not mentioning anything to them for a while. I don't need any naysayers.

Thanks, guys, for making LawnSite a very welcome home for all us wannabees!

Eric

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I think a lot of the naysayers are a little jealous of you for having the courage to take a risk. Most people dream of something better for themselves, but don't have the guts to make a move. There's always something holding them back. Then when they see someone else taking a risk, they try to talk them out of it, for fear that they will succeed and in the process reinforce their own insecurities and failures.

You will never know unless you try, and even if you fail, you will have succeeded by trying.

7. pfifla1

pfifla1 LawnSite Member

i had the same problem when i started my business at 17, asked my dad for a loan, he told me he wouldnt loan me the money, so i took what little money i had from my job over summer and started, everyone said i'd fail, and all i can say is, it has been my best investment, and i have managed to pay my way through college with no loans, flexible schedule and hard work... all i can say is if you have the drive you can do anything, and yes, there is ALOT of money in landscaping, they just dont know what they are talking about.

8. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I've lucked out also, this being my first year part time. I have all the confidence from my parents. I have support from my wife and the inlaws. A matter of fact. My farther in law asked if he could work for me when he retires in 5 five years I said of course. I plan on having 3 sanders with plows in the future. I'll have to get my license but he already has one. I've started small and I'm still small. This place is a wealth of knowledge if you don't act like a jack@ss people will help you out. I can't wait for the day that I go full time and tell corporate America to FO.

9. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot to add set your self some goals for the year and a higher goal. I set some goals and achieved every single one. People are always going to look down on you and second guess. Have the strong will to work hard and do you best more matter if it's a $30.00 or a $100.00 job work hard and it will eventually pay off.

10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of us heard that same thing at first, it took a few years of, "You still don't have a regular job?" from my mother before it sunk in that I am self-employed, not unemployed. When would I have time for a "job" while running a business?
    Run into an old co-worker a while ago, "Are you still mowing lawns on the side?" On the side of what, I asked? No, I've been doing it full time for a few years now.
    I don't know if you can do it or not, but I'll tell you the same thing the man told us when we asked if we could build our own log home, "You can do it if you can." Go for it, you'll never know if you don't try.
    Crawdad