1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

you lose

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toy2, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay...is it me or do our LCO's starting out getting the the feeling its a losing battle? Being an LCO? Gave a customer a bid to remove sod, 3 by 40 around 4 trees and put metal edging where the sod meets the fresh ground...no problem, then he said use the sod and fill in some dead spots...ok....first of call Nationsrent to get a sod cutter, they said they had one, get there at 1030...no its at our store....we will deliver it..gets to the job at 1130...start using it, it keps dying of I go an 1" below ground...WTF....blows the belt at 1205, place a call to them...tech gets to the job at 1330...claims the ground is to hard for that machine to dig that deep...puts a new belt on, its 1410...he claims it only going to clean up the surface of the ground....i used it until 1530, took it back and screamed about my $$ paid $80.00 for the day, she drooped it to $50.00...so now I have a clean area, but no sod to replace the dead spots...is it my problem??? Or do I just add sod to the bill and keep trucking? The homeowners are out of town until Monday...My understanding of a od cutter was it would let you reuse the sod....boy was I wrong...yes it was a Ryan!! Life sucks, they you die!!!
  2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll assume this was your first experience throwing sod .... the sod cutters from the rental places are too small to cut deep enough to re-use the sod .... sure you can try .... but why .... when you can get a pallet of good sod delivered

Yes ... I'd let the owner know the situation BEFORE I ordered the sod .... n gonna have to add any extras which will occur

Usually after the first time of doing a job we are not familiar with .... it sticks with us .... so the next time we don't step in the same %^$#

Fore me I learned long time ago that throwing sod is NO fun ....n I charge according
  3. Toy2

Thanks Fantasy Lawns, talk about being pissed off...yes I have seen them at work and yes it was my fist time man-handling the machine, other jobs I have used the good old shovel/small jobs......I wanted to spit on the rental guys face...I told him time is $$$ jack, need this fixed/didn't seem to give a rats a$$....wife came buy and gave me a drink...told me to calm down...I have to go back today and install the edging and final clean up...
  4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

we got a sod cutter last year that cut 4" and we reused the sod and everything went find and dandy. i think you just need to find a better rental place.:waving:
  5. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

......if you have one even within 30-45 minutes from your work site....top notch equipment with top notch service and the repair facilities to keep it that way. I rent something about once a week...always a different item, but evry week none the less.

6. Toy2

All we have around here is Nations Rental, RSC, and I think an Equipment Depot.....The ground was coming up chucks of clay with the good old pick....so I guess the machine couldn't handle it????I will let the homeowner know to get some sod for his dead spots.....thanks for the rental info!!
  7. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

yeh , i would not buy the sod for the bare spots until you talk with the owners . i also dont know what kind of sod you are workin with but here i can get a 540 sq. ft. pallet of centipede for $95.00 and that includes the pallet fee and thats for me to pick it up .
  8. Toy2

St. Augustine, its about $80.00 a pallet right now.....so we'll see what happens....I think I lost my a$$ on that one, I'm starting to really believe what Bobby G. is saying about the lawn biz is true!!!
  9. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

nnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! dont belive it !!!!!
  10. Toy2

Okay, head over to look at my job one last time, make sure its up to par....get there and notice run off from the sprinklers....yes, busted one with the stupid sod cutter////clay soil of course...so I had a spare and replaced it...i swear i lost on that job...I need to focus on just mowing......"PACO'S JUST MOWING" new company name and new work ethic!!!