You Make A Living Mowing?????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packerbacker, Apr 21, 2005.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Had some clown ask me this yesterday! One time mow only, so I go over there at 4:00 in the afternoon right before I hit a 2 acre church. It had been a long day anyway so when he asked me I was speechless.

I deleriously laughed and told him I can even afford to buy food for my family to.

Makes you wonder if people just look at us like we are bunch of idiots.

Took me 15 mins to cut his grass and I collected my 40 bucks from him. Fastest 40 bucks I ever made.
  2. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Today my wife finally conceded that lawn care as a career might actually work. In the last couple days I picked up 2 mowing and 3 fert clients, I'm starting a 3 day landscaping job on Monday, bidding on another one tomorrow, and I keep getting busier every day. Yesterday I pulled out 5 shrubs, figured 30 minutes apiece so I bid $150 for the job. Took a grand total of 35 minutes, including removing the scraggly vines that sat there looking like crap after the job was done. According to my calculations, that's over $250/hour.

Make a living taking care of lawns? You bet!
  3. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I hear that quite often.
  4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Just laugh and say thanks for the $$$ you just paid me.
  5. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep in the land of 11 an hour expierenced carpenters and 8.50 an hour cdl drivers I just smile and take my 35 an hour.
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

True but when it rains it pours.Sometimes feast or famine in this line of work so put a few of those landscape jobs pay in the bank for those rainy days.
  7. packerbacker

Wow, thats cheap. I got 2 buddies who frame houses and they get paid close to $50,000 a year.

Another friend of mine drives OTR for KS, MO and part of IA and he just bought an 88 acre farm so I assume he's making more then 8.50 and hour.
  8. packerbacker

He asked me what I did in the winter. I told him Im on vacation for the better part of 3 months and he was astounded. All you have to do is be smart with your money and you dont have to work a day from mid Dec through late Feb.
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how is one "smart with thier money?" basically, don't spend it? i know a guy who cuts grass, he has tons of money, he never spends any. he lives like a miser, never going out or doing anything. he says he's "smart with his money", i say, he's living like a dog.
  10. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

....and since when is 50 grand a year a lot of money??? I hope your doing better than that.