You may consider this a stupid thread, but I would like to start a thread on 'Helpful

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OMG, Jul 21, 2005.

1. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Hints' that could save us all some money, time, etc.

Just a line or two will be fine.

I'll start by saying what I like to do when trimming long-stemmed hedges is trim, blow, spot trim and blow again.

The blowing helps to get the cut pieces off, plus helps 'spring up' parts that may have been missed.

Thanks in advance to all that participate-----we may all learn something.

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

and another person is also on a trimmer, have them "weed eat" the grass tangle out of your trimmer. Much faster than hand or pocketknife.

3. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

keep your routes tight!!!

4. IN2MOWING

IN2MOWING LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

If I can get it far onto the lawn Ill use my mower to blow off the driveway or street instead of going for the blower. Saves a few mins here and there.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i go a step further, don't bother blowing, mow, jump in the truck and go

6. IN2MOWING

IN2MOWING LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

Why not just dont show up at all and still bill them!

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i do, but i can only do that so many times a season

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

... 'line' up the yards the night before (or at the very least, before you head out) so you don't double back around all day long. Do them all in one big, long row (or circle or whatever). You can actually have yards all over the county so long you can line them up OR if you don't have enough for a day, only do ones in one section one day, then another section the next day, and so on.
    Which:
    Divide your area into sections or sectors, or whatever you want to call it. Most of my sections are roughly 5 square miles or so and I have about 7 or 8 sections for the entire county on a big map. Sometimes this means a yard gets cut a day early or late, oh well.

9. topsites

The weed-eater does it for small / light amounts of debris as well (the string rotates counter-clockwise, and this creates wind at WOT) - sidewalks can be cleared easy if you skim-walk the weed-eater head right down the center.

Here are some my arse and time-savers:
    - Load equipment needed for tomorrow the night before.
    - Load ONLY equipment needed, leave the rest at home (less crap).
    - Make ONE deposit / week (less trips to the bank).
    - Run 93 octane to prevent start-up hassles AND less broken starter rope.
    - Have spare equipment ready-to-run. Doesn't need to be fueled, but at least fixed and ready to go at a moment's notice - when a mower breaks and you have another one ready, that helps tons.
    - With mowers, keep ALL of them at the same cut-height so if one breaks in mid-yard you can finish it with another and no difference.
    - Get more than a few sets of blades and sharpen a LOT at once, then switch dull with sharp on the mower(s) every day until you get another lot to sharpen.
    - Learn to drive carefully so that setting the parking brake on the mower is all the securing you do: THIS saves minutes / yard, more than what you save on the road by driving too fast / following too closely.
    - Some equipment has redundant on / off switches, like on my Wb there is the throttle OFF plus the key: The key stays ON at all times while I pretend this switch does not exist.

Here is an interesting one for a stihl 2-cycle backpack blower:
    To turn it off, choke it and load and leave the choke ON. By the next yard, un-choke it FIRST and pull - mine always starts with the 1st pull even the next morning BUT:
    If you forgot to blow something and you just choked it off, it WILL take 3-4 pulls to start, sometimes 5. It's a compromise but on mine the switch doesn't work :)

10. topsites

Here's some more:

- Always have several (the more the better) loaded grease guns. When one runs out, put it in the empties pile and grab another from the full pile.
    - Keep an exact duplicate of your keychain someplace, 2 sets of dupes don't hurt.
    - Buy several mower keys and slip a few in the ashtray, they are universal.
    - Have a box of clips, pins, cotters, fuses, bulbs, springs (etc) in the truck.
    - Carry a small but complete toolset with you (screwdrivers, wrenches, etc).
    - Essential belts for me are wheel-belt and trans-belt: Min. one each in truckbox.

When doing a job, get as much done with one tool before switching. For example, with a load of mulch - barrow it ALL out, THEN spread it (but you have to be a careful planner).

When cutting with a side-discharge, do 2-3 initial perimeter loops with the discharge facing IN to keep clippings off the walkways, road, etc.
    You can then cut stripes at will OR turn around and face the discharge OUT to spread the clippings evenly. When weed-eating, aim the debris towards you to keep them off the walks but also to prevent aiming it at someone else.

If you can, avoid parking in customer's driveways at all costs:
    - Less chance of an oil / other fluid dripping on customer's asphalt.
    - Less maneuvering bs.
    exceptions would be busy roads.

that's all i can think of.