You Might Be a Professional LCO or a Scrub If?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Mar 12, 2005.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I think you'll know which is which.

Do you use in your everyday cutting any mower that was purchased at Home Cheapo, Lowes, Wal-Mart, KMart, Target, Sears or any other department store?

Did your Trimmer (weedwacker for some) come from one of the above?

Did your blower (if you have one) come from one of the above?

Do you use any piece of equipment named Murray?

Do you call any equipment purchased at the above "commercial" or "professional"?

Do you transport (haul for some) these items in the bed of your S10/Ranger truck, the rear of your Jeep with the seat folded down, the hatchback of your car or Ford Explorer, or heavens forbid the trunk?

Do you blow grass clipping and debis in the roadway?

Do your customers pay weekly by leaving cash under the door mat?

Do you pay Taxes on yourself, business, any employees?

Do you 1099 all of your employees?

Do you have Commercial Libility and Auto Insurance?

Are you licensed?

Do you wear cut off jeans, pants or shirts to cut in?

Do you stick flyers in or on Mailboxes?

Do you cut a lawn for say $15 and figure that you made $14 in profit?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Do you own true Commercial Mowers, trimmers and blowers that came from a Commercial equipment dealer?

Are you licensed?

Do you pay all taxes, have Commercial Insurance and do not 1099 your employees?

Do you mail or place your flyers in the proper legal place such as on the door?

Do you swear that you don't do any of the other things above?

2. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I HAVE A MOWER MADE BY MURRAY...and it has served me very well for the crappy island work I do for my commercials for 3 years.

Why in the heck do we keep going here???

3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

i bought my honda mower at home depot. it's really nice too.

4. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

....you post or reply to posts telling everyone how you are not a scrub.

Man, I don't even post here anymore....when I have a question....I just use the search feature and then I'm gone. Everyone is riding BMW mowers and cutting yards made of gold....and if you're not, then you're below them.

Peace,
    Nitro

5. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

From all the "Are You a Scrub" posts I've seen on here and the "other site", I'd say that the majority of the people on these forms probably fall into the scrub catergory in one way or another. Yes, I buy my Echo 230 trimmers from Home Cheapo, and they serve my purpose. Guess I'm a scrub.

6. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

However, if you are one that wants Something For Nothing, then do not waste our time. By that, I mean please contribute to the archive when you can. It is a relief to many that you snatch [info] and run at your present station in life. When you can, contribute.
    kenny

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Some yes and no. I dont buy equipment from sears so i awnser no. I am lisenced so I awnser yes. To make sence the questions should be all yes for a pro, and all no for someone who makes you cry like a little girl when your bored all winter (scrub).

8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

These scrub threads are a joke. You know what? Yes, I do have some equipment from Home Depot. I do have some cheap MTD and Craftsman 21" mowers. I have blown grass into the street and I have worn cut off jeans (when i was younger). I also put flyers in mailboxes by the thousands until the Postmaster called me to tell me to stop. I have also been threatened by another landscaper because I underbid his price (I didn't know better).
    I've made every mistake in the book, so go ahead and call me a scrub. The difference is that unlike the majority of businesses that started with me 10 years ago, is that I'm still standing, and thriving.

9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

A professional is someone who utilizes his valuable time to do things that are more constructive than trying to define the term "Scrub".

10. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

What makes you a pro is knowing what you are doing and having the equipment that can do what you need it to do. If you can buy an echo trimmer at Home Depot that does what you need it to do, whats the difference?
    Everyone gets toooooo hung up on equipment. Having all the most expensive equip. in the world does you no good if you dont know how to use it correctly.

Dave