You mis-priced a job. What next?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by crawdad, Sep 21, 2006.

1. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

You mis-priced a job. We've all done it.
    You gave a price to mow 35 bucks, and the lawn took way too long, and dulled your blades from all of the rocks. This lawn needs to be at least 50 bucks.
    What do you do next?
    1)Mow for the rest of the year at the too-low price, and adjust it next year.
    2)Stop showing up
    3)Give the customer a new price, and take it from there.
    Crawdad

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Number 1...

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Continue to lose money?
    Why?

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

How long have you been doing it? If you just started, I would just simply tell them..."Look, due to this ground being as rough as it is, and with all the oblects and such, I'm sorry, but I just cannot continue to service your lawnnfor $35. It would take a minimum of $50, and if you choose to try to find someone else to do it, I fully understand."
    Just be honest, open, and upfront. They will understand, and it either gets you off the hook, or it gets youthe ompensation needed to make up for the extra time and care required to do this job at a profitable rate.

5. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I say number 1 also. In my opinion, when you give a customer a quote you stick with it. I'll bet when you give a quote and it takes less time, you don't lower your price! It's part of doing business, take the good with the bad, learn from both and adjust for the next quote.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

#3 Nothing to lose, Customer don't accept at least your not working for free

#4- sell the account to someone with "no overhead" they profit on all jobs :)

7. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

When was the last time this lawn was cut before you cut it. How often will you be cutting this lawn. Do it a least once a week.

8. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

#3 what do you have to loose a cus. that you don't want? :rolleyes:
    #4 do you have someone to give acct. too? :waving: :waving:
    #5 clean up the lawn for a price! payup payup payup

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I said sell the account- theres always some new lco willing to give you $100 for a customer. This way you profit from signing the customer.

10. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

One thing to consider is that your efficiency may improve after a couple of cuts. I have a couple I thought I had under bid, trimmed a few limbs, picked up a few things and talked to the customer about keeping it that way. The result was almost a 30% decrease in mowing time. Kept the account for the year so the time was well spent.