You mis-priced a job. What next?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by crawdad, Sep 21, 2006.

1. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

When I get calls for lawns that havent been cut in a while, I will usually bump up the price a bit and explain to the customer that it wil take extra time. They usually dont have a problem.

On other odd properties, I wil tell the customer a slightly higher price and also explain the price MIGHT change BUT I CAN GURANTEE IT WONT RISE BY MORE THAN $10/ per cut. I have only used that policy about 4 or 5 times and actually, the property was intimidating because it took a lot LESS time than I was planning.

2. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

When you give a price for a first time in awile cut how much do you mark up the first cut? (using a $35 yard for example)
    Im not talking about one that needs/wants landscaping just mow trim edge blow

3. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

don't say he sign them to a con.:dizzy: how can you sell!

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

:hammerhead:

same way you can "give acct. too" :dizzy: :dizzy: :laugh: :laugh:

:waving:

5. East Coast Lawn Choppers

East Coast Lawn Choppers LawnSite Member

Yes we have done it a few times.We just ate it for the year and quoted higher the next year. One lawn we told the person we quoted too low and next year we will charge a little more and they offered to pay more this year. That is rare but it worked out good.

6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't clean it up without dynamite.
    These are "love stones" coming up out of the ground.

I gave the guy a new price, and he said he figured I'd have to raise it, after mowing it a time or two.
    Those of you who chose option number 1 would continue the job this year for a price that is too low, and next season you would have to explain an increase of over 40%
    At this time, you would likely lose the job, giving yourself time to underbid another lawn.
    Number three is the best answer in cases like this.

7. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with this. In all the places I've been, it seems the number 1 complaint of customers of any service company is a company that doesn't keep it's word. Surely when taking on a new yard it can't be too hard to explain that this is a 1-time price only, and the price will be adjusted for future cuts based upon your experience with the 1st cut. That way you may lose on the 1st cut, but you can adjust from there accordingly without going against your word. However, I'm of the firm opinion that if you give your word (sign a year long contract) you live up to it, no matter how bad you underestimated.

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you make mistakes and learn from them, but your word should be the most important thing to you, you under bid, its the tough luck rule.....finish the searson and raise it next year....

9. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Your profile says you've only been in biz for a year, but, I feel you have a grip on it here. Best answer so far.

Bullshirt, I ain't finishing out the season at a losing price. I told the customer it may change after a mow or two, and it did. There are advantages, as well as disadvantages, to not having signed contracts.

To all of the people who say, "finish the year at a loss, and raise the price next year,"
    I ask this, "How many times have you done this, and kept the customer the next year?"

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I ask how many have worked at a loss and stayed in business for the "next" year. :dizzy: