1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

You mowed with a riding mower!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, May 14, 2005.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I "had" a referral customer who is a little off the chair. She wanted me to mow the lawn for her this season. I did not do much research on her but I did give her a decent price to mow weekly. Its a 15 minute job mowing and trimming on a 6500 sq ft lot. I was there twice already and I last mowed Thursday. I get a message today (saturday) from her stating that it looks like I used a riding mower to do her lawn. I called her back and did in fact tell her that she never specified that I was to use a walk behind mower. She then began saying that she does not like riding mowers and that I told her that I would be using a walk behind mower when I did her lawn. I told her that my rate for mowing wouldn't have been 30 dollars if that was the case. SHe then asked what it would be for me to use a walk behind. Knowing where this was going I said 50 dollars per cut. She told me that she paid twenty last season. I said I am sorry we can't come to this agreement and I would be sending the final bill.
    I am not surprised and not upset at giving this one back to the scrubs. Selectivity is the key to happiness. I also remember that 10 years ago I would have done what it takes to keep her. Not anymore. I know what a PITA is and her picture would be next to the definition.

2. lrose2

lrose2 LawnSite Member

I' m with 'ya on this MowEd. Don't you just love the clients who try to tell you which mower to use and that you are going to fast, etc., etc.. I subscribe to your keyword: SELECTIVITY!

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

You did the right thing.

4. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Good Call!

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

empowerment...

see you don't have to be rude, or overreact like a notorious person here to get your point across..

well handled

6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

You mean you used one of those "zip - zip" mowers on her lawn? I had a customer ask me not to use a "zip - zip" mower on her yard. I asked her what she meant, and she said the mower that you ride and go back and forth so fast. I said what's the difference, as long as the lawn looks good.

We ended up using ZTRs, lol.

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

This bears repeating.

8. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

Ohh i had some of them before ,,,,wanted me to use my w/b instaed of my ZTR ,,,,she ask me why i was using that big mower ...i said it take me 6 mins to cut your yard instead of 35 mins with w/b ...she said please use the w/b ,,and i said PLEASE call someone else mam'am ......done deal .. :blob3:

9. zgman

zgman LawnSite Member
    from va

I'm curious as to why these customers would prefer you use a wb? Are the zip zips tearing up their yard?

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

zgman, I think it's two things. First they think the zip zip is going to tear up their yard. Secondly they somehow feel as though they are not getting their money's worth if you're not taking an hour to cut a 5,000 sq ft patch of grass.