1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

you name the price

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by 1MajorTom, Mar 11, 2006.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Looking at the local service directory in the newspaper this morning... and I see someone ran an ad stating, "you name the price, no reasonable offer refused".

You think that actually works? Do you agree with this line of advertising?
    I'm not even saying this LCO is actually going to be the cheapest on pricing, he may just hook them in, then talk them into the price he actually wants.
    I guess what i'm asking is, has anyone used the "you name the price" line, and does it work in obtaining good customers?
  2. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

I cant see how this would work well. Theyre never going to name a reasonable price... What i think would work better would use a flat rate fee for a low price, maybe even 19.95 or something along those lines. They take the bate and you set them up for a higher price.
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Right the catch is "No Reasonable offer refused"so they can refuse any offer by simply saying it was not reasonable...that pisses people off
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Like i said before, Soon we will ask the homeowner what it will cost us to cut there grass:cry: This business is getting very sad
  5. 1MajorTom

I know, I was mad at first when I read it too. Then I thought, well it doesn't necessarily mean that the LCO will give em a cheap price, they may be just suckering them into calling. And that's why I wanted to see if anyone had actually tried it, and got good results. :dizzy:
  6. John Gamba

from ct

I always heard you start off high???? Hay i did an account 6 years ago for 750 dollars a week cut,trim and blow. I now heard its got done last year for 400 bucks. I can believe where i got the info from.

This is why there are times i just go off.
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

It would definitely get the phone ringing.
  8. John Gamba

from ct

For five dollar cuts
  9. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I ran a similar ad in the classified section of the local paper last year. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of calls the ad generated.

The reason I ran that type of ad was to see if it would generate a better response rate than the typical one that everyone else was running. I figured I would try something different and see what happened.

A good number of callers didn't have a clue what a reasonable rate was so they had us bid it, but they said the reason they called was the ad stood out from the others. I really think some people get tired of seeing the same old ads over and over again. Fliers are the same way, when a customer receives 10 fliers for lawn care in a 2-week period what makes them decide to call you? What makes your flier different and stand out from the other 9 fliers?
  10. 1MajorTom

I agree totally. The first year in biz we ran an ad in the service directory, didn't generate much interest AT ALL. So we stopped with the service directory, just too many people in there to differentiate yourself from everyone else.
    However, this year, something caught my eye. I noticed alongside all the services that were being advertised, there was one photo of a business. I called the newspaper and asked how we could get our photo placed there. The lady said, all we had to do was run an ad in the directory for a month and turn in a pic, and our photo would be highlighted at no extra cost. I told Matt, "that sounds pretty decent, let's try it." So I admit, I submitted a VERY CHEESY AD just to get the 4 x 6 picture put in. The photo ran for ten days, I don't think that's bad at all. Here was the 4 line ad.
    Company Name
    Call the best, skip the rest.
    Immediate Callbacks
    Company Phone number.

We only got ONE phone call so far from it in 10 days, I asked her what made her call us, and she said, "I liked how your ad said you would call back immediately." Go figure. Anyhow, Matt landed that account, it's gonna be a good one I think, $2130.00 for the season.

I think the service directory all in all is a tough sale though.