you need an electricians license?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobbygedd, Nov 21, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

put in some lights on a landscape. friend of mine said u need to be a licensed electrician to do that. is this true?

2. Little Guy

Little Guy LawnSite Member

It's low voltage and does not require permits or inspections, so I wouldn't think so .

3. lawn jockey

lawn jockey LawnSite Member

Bobbygedd, In some states you do have to be lis. to run underground wiring to a gfi. breaker outside ,but if there is an outside plug already you are fine! Just hire an electrician to wire your outside plugs then do the rest

4. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

All depends on location...... in most towns here, anyone can do anything.. but some require a license.

5. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that you do not need a license to run the low voltage (12v) portion of the electric. But if you have to install the 110v portion of the system then you'll probably need a license or hire a licensed electrician to at least sign off on your work to CYA.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Ditto Tx !
    plus it would need to be inspected and a permit would be required. Thats in oh. it varys by towns but it would have to be to NEC requirements I am a lisc elec in oh. so I know my state, but just have home owner pull pemit in his name and you can do anything it all would come back to him when it comes time for inspections.

7. Nw. Shadesofgreen

Nw. Shadesofgreen LawnSite Member

As someone esle said, each state is different. Check your area for what is required of you.
    Some cities here in WA want an electrician to wire up sprinkler valves. I think it is just another attempt to collect more fees.
    Good Luck

8. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto on the each state is different. You need to check with your state and local codes. And I agree they just want more money for all the fricken licenses. I used to work in a lot of different states and pay $200.00 a year for a class a refrigeration license in Arkansas. Glad I don’t have to travel anymore!

9. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby,I am in NJ also. Anyone can install 12v lighting because you simply plug the transformer into an outlet.Also,the wire can be buried just beneath the soil.

With 120 volts,u must be liscenced although,as,someone mentioned,you can run the wiring but an electrician should hook the electricity up. The wiring,by code,should be buried 12"

10. hickory

hickory LawnSite Member

Some states require a LOW VOLT LIC. Most of them don't. Check with your state and local codes. I think in the years to come that will all change. Landscape lighting is just coming of age so be on the lookout. They may have a seperate Lic for both low volt and line voltage or they may require you to have just a regular line volt lic to cover both. I will say this. Be very careful with which products you use. Fires can happen if you do not have the proper tools to test your equipment. Do not overload your cable and make sure your amperage is correct on the transformer and secondary runs off the transformer just to be on the safe side. Use only professional grade transformers and fixtures. I have used Home Depot products, but have gone back to replace them with better ones. There are a number of things to consider, especially insurance.