"you overcharge your customers"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 26, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

in speaking with an aquaintance, who is in a different line of work, he said, "you overcharge your customers, i don't believe in overcharging." i said, "scuse me, what, is overcharging?" he said, "you told me you shoot for $75 an hour minimum for shrub trimming, that, is overcharging." so who determines what exactly overcharging is? what does it mean to "overcharge?" who, or what organization , decides what someone in our line of work should be charging? is there such a thing, as, "overcharging?"

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

$15.00 for a case of beer is overcharging, right?

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

if you charge them for 10 plants but only give them 9, or charge for a mowing that you didnt do. those would be overcharging. otherwise youre just more expensive than the others.

4. PMLAWN

And yet $2.00 a beer in a bar is OK? (2x24 = 48 for a case worth)

It's all market driven.

5. Brianslawn

$2.75 a gal. of gas is definately overcharging. i might have to start overcharging just to cover it.

6. Wait till they tack a fuel surcharge to the case of beer.

7. HometownLawn

HometownLawn LawnSite Member

Customers are the same in any business. Everyone wants something for nothing and if they have to pull money out of their wallet its an 'outrageous price'

8. PMLAWN

If it is 80* out I will need 2 cold beers after work-- 90* and it will be 4- And if it hits 100* The surcharge will be way overcharging.

9. Brianslawn

here its $3.50 for a beer at a restaurant. might have to add a beer surgcharge to the price of mowing, too. :drinkup:

10. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

That's true Hometown. Everyone thinks everyone else makes too much money. I've learned to let those comments go.