you screwed up badly on the quote.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 9, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this happened to me, many yrs ago. it wasn't the first time, it wasn't the last, but it came to mind. i quoted a leaf job at $90. yup, i drove by, looked, didn't see that much leaves, and called her back with a $90 quote. she said go for it. so, the next day, i did. HOLY CRAP, what i didn't see, and wasn't able to see from the driveby the day before, was the rest of the yard. an odd shaped property, blocked by the position of the house.....the yard was about 4 times the size i anticipated, and now i know where all the leaves were, they were on the side i couldn't see from the road. ok, now what? take the hit? tell her you need more money? hop in the truck and haul butt? can u benefit either way? is it a lose lose?

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Did you try the search feature? I believe this has been discussed before.. BY YOU! :D

I wouldn't do it. I'd call and admit my mistake.

3. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

yeah, what he said, or call one of those kids or whomever that really would do it that cheap or cheaper and make money. :D

4. pgiambat

pgiambat LawnSite Member

I've had those shoes on before. Do the job and stew about it the whole time and do the best leaf pick up that's ever been done and let it be a lesson. Better to bid high and tell them later that the total is less. I've got a cut that takes me 9 minutes from the time I shut my truck off till I'm driving away and I get $35. Then I go right to a showcase yard that takes 45 minutes where I get $30. Good luck.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I think we've all done at some time,...in one way, shape or form. I know it's happened to me - where I had underbid due to more work being there than I thought. This is for instance> why when I do an initial edging job, I will c=ut back the sod in a few different places to see just exactly how much it is grown over. It can be decieving and what looks like a relatively maintained walk, can really have 5 or 6 inches of overgrowth on each side. This type of edging job is in a whole diferent calibur, then. Anyway, there are many different scenarios where this can happen. Don't feel too bad...it could have been worse, and atleast you know now to walk the property and communicate with the customer as to their expectations.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

holy moly!!! no no no no, i'm simply askin if you should do the job at your quoted price, talk to her and up the quote, or run like hell. and, why

7. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Here's the why part... because I would have no problem admitting I made a mistake.

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

the professional thing to do is to contact her, explain things just how you explained them to us. be honest with the client.
    tell her when you quoted the price you had not sees all the work to be done..

just make sure you do it BEFORE you start the work.

9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

i say just crack her over the head with a shovel!

10. lpwhandyman

lpwhandyman LawnSite Member

I really need to start carrying a shovel....Everyone seems to want to carry one lately...haha :D But then again, they probably wouldn't let me carry one to the back of the bus.