You should wear

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by summitgroundskeeping, Jul 7, 2001.

1. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Wear a thin long sleeved lighter colored shirt w/colar or w/o colar. If jeans are too hot, wear kakis. As hats go, I wear an echo baseball style hat, but large brimmed hats work better. Keeping the sun off your skin keeps you cooler than having in beat down on you all day.

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

LONG SLEEVE? no thanks! I'll live with sun tanned arms anyday!
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

no way JOSE on the long sleeved shirt for me! if it works for you, then go for it.

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I'd literally choke to death in a long sleeve shirt:angel:

I see the Mexicans wearing them but never know how they do it.
  5. jmcooper

jmcooper LawnSite Member

If I could get by with it, i'd go buck naked!!!:)
    Just think, no tan lines.
  6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

hahaha! the mexican that works for me wears a long sleeve button down shirt every day.... even on the 95 degree days!!!! The first day he worked for me i gave him one of my company t-shirts cause i thought he just didnt own a short sleeve shirts or something...... he put in on.... 20 minutes i look and he has his long sleeve shirt back on! Whats the deal with this? I cant ask him..... "No engli, no engli"
  7. flipflopman

flipflopman LawnSite Member

its actually cooler if u wear a whit shirt under a long sleeve thin shirt on top.....just make sure its the think button down the middle type... your sweat will be kept on the bottom shirt and keep you wont know until you try it.......
  8. flipflopman

flipflopman LawnSite Member

sorry ...

i meant to say....

the (kind) -- and not think
  9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Yep.take a hint from the Mexican dude!

They KNOW about working in intense heat.

The loose fitting light cloth actually helps you to perspire thus cooling your skin and your core body temp.

My grandfather was a Tobacco farmer here in Tennessee and plowed with mules most of his life. A white,long-sleeved button-down shirt and Duck Head denim overalls was all I ever saw him in. And a wide brimmed straw hat.

He quit farming at the age of 85 and passed away at 91. I can't say that Gramps had the best tan in the world BUT he never had skin cancer or a heat stroke either. :)
  10. Leonard

Leonard LawnSite Member
    from Texas

It's true...even in the sauna-like conditions of Houston where 106 degrees and 90% humidity are to be expected in the summer, all the Mexicans here wear the loose-fitting, long sleve tops and blue jeans. I may not understand how it helps keep them cool, but I can't argue with the facts; it just works. :confused: