you spent how much

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookiemower, Oct 1, 2003.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i never knew until i came to lawnsite that you could spend 800-1000 on a trim mower that seems ridiculous i use a 21" murray from the home depot and it is great never had trouble yet starts on first pull why do some of you guys spend that much as long as you dont beat on the cheapos they will last please fill me in on the reasoning for this purchase. $900 would be a nice chunk of money to put towards 2 cycle equipment or a new walkbehind:confused:

2. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I have an toro proline from 1984 and it starts first pull with the 2-cycle suzuki. That is just an example of why a $1000 mower is worth it. I don't even load it but if I need it will be there. They are more reliable and have better features.

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure...and I have a 1992 MTD which I bought for $120 which starts on the first pull as well. Heck...I haven't even changed the oil in 8 years. LOL

4. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

I too would never spend $900.00 on a trim mower, we have a snapper that I paid about $400 for and it works great. It is a pretty heavy duty mower, and if I ever needed another trim mower (we dont use them often) thats what I would get. However you need to remember that a lot of the $900.00 mowers are bought by larger companies where the owner isn't the one using the equipment. Honestly your murray is a great mower when you are the one using it, but give it to a maintenance crew that is being pushed hard to complete their properties within the budgeted hours and it wouldn't last a month. Just my 2 cents.

5. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

good point tony

6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Depending on how much you use a 21", buying a commercial model might not be such a bad idea.

7. Tx Firefighter

Tx Firefighter LawnSite Member

Another LCO was passing by the other day and stopped to check out my new ZTR. He asked the same question about my 983 dollar Toro Proline 21inch. I started it up and he made a couple of passes with it.

Three days later he stopped by again, with a new 21 Proline on his trailer.

He could not believe the power and speed of my Proline. Two passes in a yard sold him on one. Once you've used one, you'll know what I'm talking about. Besides, this is my business, and I need the very best to give the very best. I threw away my 21 inch Snapper when I got the Toro. The Toro allows me to actually make money with a 21 if I need to, because it's more productive.

8. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

The first 21" mower I used was a $300 6.5hp yard man, are something like that, It was the only mower being used, and it was a peaice of junk in 4 months, and was slow in thick grass. Ive had my honda for 3 years, with no problems, and plows through some pretty thick grass.
    Alot guys run just 21" mowers around here, and I ve been told buy alot guys that they get 5-6 years out of a honda, running it 20-30 hours a week all year round.

9. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I have the JX86 they don't make them any more. I love it, to me it's worth the money. I bent the drive shaft on it about a month back. I hit a large construction bolt thing laying in the longer grass, missed that one. Anyway, while I was getting that one fixed I use a Craftsman. Boy, what a difference in mowers. I started out with a Craftsman mower before the JX85. I couldn't wait to get the JX back.

Steve

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I run the JX85 also...great mower. A friend runs with murray's. Plugs always fouling and has to buy new mower every year. I want something that is dependable in the field....I don't have the time or the patients to be messing with equipment when I am in the field.