1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

You Stray.. You Pay!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scraper69, Mar 22, 2005.

1. scraper69

scraper69 LawnSite Senior Member
    from mi

Oh well.. just followed up on my accounts from last year, and it seems that about 10 accounts have dropped off. All due to price. They love my service, however cannot afford the constant increases..??? What.? I increase a small amount every other year and this year due to fuel. These were not the best accounts anyhow. No extras (ferts, trimming or anything- just lawn )
    So.. now i have a little room to add. Just hate losing that monthly steady income. Oh well

One customer (ive had for years) told me she found a guy that will do it for 17.00 and mind you I was charging 30.00 ? GO FIGURE. She liked my work, and complemented, but couldnt justify the price. Well we'll see what she gets. Said she would keep me in mind if it dont work out. Well like i told her, You stray, you pay>
    DOUBLE is what i'll charge her.
    LOTS of cheap asses this year.
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I think we are going to find more and more people trying to make extra bux to help pay there weekly gas bill and the increases in cost of living by picking up a few yards to mow
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have done that too to customers that come crawling back. Their price is increased more and they can't understand why, until I tell them
  4. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I have some customers that increase my rate each year even if I don't because they love the service and then I have new quotes where the customers drive BMW's and think every 3-4 weeks is good for cutting.
  5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

It's all part of business. I always say, as long as they are licensed and insured let them be cheaper. If not, then we have a problem. :)
  6. scraper69

from mi

This yr. is just bad overall. Not many calls for installs yet either. I think people are holding back with their spending and trying to cut costs eveerywhere. I hate to lose any accounts, especially one s i've had for years but i guess its meant to be. Maybe a Fat account will come my way.?
  7. scraper69

from mi

still not ringing.?? and so far lost about 12 accounts (maint.) all to low bid
    ive had these accts for a few years and now they shop?? oh well - definitely gonna be a different kind of year.

You know- I think its good in a way, because it will open up more time for install jobs which I really want to do more of anyway, Just gotta get some?

Is everyone seeing lowball prices more this year? last 5 yrs have been goin down hill for pricing!
  8. scraper69

from mi

Thanks to Dubuya -dumb ass
  9. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

how much do u raise your prices when u do raise them? we raised probably half of ours this year, no complaints, most were just a a buck a cut more.
  10. scraper69

from mi

same thing. About a buck, some two. We dont raise every year, but the ones we did raise were due! Guess they werent the clients i wanted anyway, (except one- a full serv client - That sucks...