You think this idea will work for retaining wall footings?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Mar 22, 2006.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Well today i messed up. I went to go buy 1in gas pipe to use as screed rails for pavers. Not realizing how pipe is sized they ended up giving me 1in ID pipe. So the OD is 1.25. So now i have a 100 bucks in pipe that i can't use for pavers.

I've hear many of you talk about speed base and was intrigued by it. Its a shame it is not made anymore. I've tried to use screed pipes to level the base course but it was hard to get the pipes level.

My idea is to get 3/4 or 1in steel stakes. Weld a 1/2 threaded bolt to the side of it. Then i would drill a 1/2 hole in the gas pipe. On the job site i could level each stake with the laser and then mount the pipes to the stakes. Then put the last 2in of road base between the pipes and screed it.

What do you guys think? I figure it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to set up and could save ALOT of time on setting the first course of block.

And i can't return the 1.25 pipe since they had to cut the 21 foot pieces down to 10 and 11 ft lengths!

Matt

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Matt...1.25 is fine and Im going to post a couple pics later of the stakes I have have for base work... make yourself a bunch.

3. kris

from nowhere

here ya go.....

4. kris

from nowhere

and another

5. kris

from nowhere

last one ... set them up just as you said...one pipe down one side with a couple of these stakes and another couple stakes and pipe down the other...set them plenty wide enough for your tamper.
    I think this is what you were talking about ...hope the pics help.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

So you loosen the top bolt to raise it and lower it i assume. Your idea is proably better than mine. I was going to weld a bolt on to a stake and just hammer it down more if i was to high.

Do you have any proablems with the pipe staying on the hook?

7. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Kris - Do you think that your idea would work better than concrete forms? It seems alot easier.

Chris

8. kris

from nowhere

Thats right ... no problems with the pipe staying on the hook . Very easy to adjust either up or down.

9. kris

from nowhere

To tell you the truth the guys don't use these that often... great on long straight sections but most of our walls aren't like that... I should have some curved pieces of pipe or something.

edit..gee sorry I misread your post ... Ive never used concrete forms. Do you mean you would set up concrete forms for base work on a SRW?

10. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Kris - Yeah, we set them with a laser to get them level and screed our base of of them.

Chris