You think you have pricey water

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mitchgo, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

They need to start laying off some of that upper management...

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

We've had the driest August in history and most yards look awful even one's with irrigation.
    Most people don't realize how much water you need in weather like this.

Did a call today that said if they need to water that much they will just turn it off.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

People need to understand that they can water minimally and keep the lawn alive, or water excessively and have it thrive. It's their choice. Mediocre looking lawn during dry/drought times and small water bill? Or green lush lawn and high water bill? Turning it off is a sh!tty thing to do as it will take more money and water to get the lawn back a year or two from now. get them to water enough to live, even in a weak looking state.

4. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I use @ 40-45k/mo in July and August. About 5k of that is household use, the rest goes to the landscape. Runs me @ $150/mo. I like my grass green and lush but I'm not watering excessively. The lawn always looks really stressed the day before the system runs again, I'm pushing it to the brink.

5. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Apparently you don't have a irrigation system ;)

They use a ton of water.

6. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

Yea 30 - 40k gallons is a normal summer month for me.

I have 1.1 acres with a pool and the lawn looks almost dead right now.

I have a foundation drip, seperate tree bubbler zones and bed sprays that get most of the water when dry like now.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

Actually I do, I use well water :laugh:

There are ways to reduce water usage though, and use the water more efficiently. I think vast quantities of water are wasted in mist and spray head applications to the air and drift.

I'm not criticizing your or anybody's installation, usage, etc. 1.1 acre's + pool will suck up a lot of water. Besides, if you can pay for it... go for it.

I've used the Hunter PLD system on larger scale residential installations (generally to the ornamental planting beds) and have been able to reduce their water consumption by approrixamtly 25% and in some cases more. Even with well water, I use it at my own home.

http://www.hunterindustries.com/Products/Miscellaneous/pldintro.html

I have actually seen this product used underneath St. Augustine sod in an Ocean front residential installation by a buddy of mine, a year later, the grass continues to be lush and green. He said the installation saved the homeowner nearly 50% since the water is applied directly to the root system.

The only bugaboo is that you will have to blow out the lines every 18-24 months, which is no big deal.

I know I couldn't afford 45,000 glns of water down here since the base 4,000 glns cost me about $35.00... even if I use less; and pro forma higher per gallon once that exceeds a certain usage... not sure what the break point is because we haven't exceeded it.

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Your buddy was using drip emitting line similar to what is used for some septic drain field lines. The drip lines are made from some type of anti bacterial coated lines with each emitter being designed in a way to prevent blockage with roots. They still have to be flushed, but its one of the best ways to deliver water to plants.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Around here in the golf course communities the irrigation is usually on a separate meter...I have heard about water bills in the $900 range.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

My house in Mass , 4 zones , no pool $1200 a yr.NH house is a well , no bill