You want me to do your yard for 25$!! You got to be kidding!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, May 19, 2004.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I had a older gent call today and want a price on his yard. He told me he had a older black couple that was doing it and 8 of his neighbors and their work was superb and he was very ticky about his yard. The couple had divorced and recently moved. I drive to his place and look at the property. About 10,000 sq.ft and a huge amount of srubs and edging, also wanted yard bagged and hauled off and must be done on Thursday morning at 9am. Also wanted srubs trimmed several times a year. I did not get a good feeling about this person even though he was nice, (shoud have followed my gut instinct). Im thinking I really dont want this yard even though I need business bad. I figured about 3 hours on this yard average. Also did not want a ztr in yard wanted a small rider, Now Im pretty good at keeping my cool but when he told me he was paying 25 to the couple I shouted TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS!! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING!! There is no way I could touch it for that! He then told me he had a guy coming saturday to do it and he did not even own a mower, the customer was going to let him use his. Did not like him coming on saturday so he may not work out, I ended our conversation right there and thanked him for calling but I will pass on this one, Was going to look at the other 8 yards but he told me they were all 20-25 yards and they could not afford me, I got in my truck and got out of that neighborhoof, this is what I compete with every day, have got to look at another one tommorow and the lady sounded about 80. I am fixing to quit dealing with anyone over 55, about had enough. How is the heck can you pay for 13k equipment I have doing 25$ yards? Geez

Danny
    Quality Lawn Care

2. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

8 yards all by each other for $25 each would be $200. No reloading equipment, I bet you could bust them out in 3 hours.
    Are you sure he wasnt going to pay extra for shrub work?
    He does sound like a pain, but I wish I could get 8 lawns in one stop.

3. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky LawnSite Member

I am with you Ryan.... sounds like 200 dollars to me. and if I could do it in 3 hours......sign me up.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

I think you fellas misunderstood, His yard would take 3 hours alone with all the edging and bagging. All the other yards were 2 hours each with all the srubs. 8x2 =16 hours plus 3 hours for his =19 hours for 200 dollars. You fellas can have em. BTW I forgot to add he also wanted scotts bonus plus put out 4 times a year, It was 25 a bag yesterday when I got 8 bags, I could not even break even on this. I pretty fast but this one yard busting my a$$ would still take 3 hours, I walked it several times to make sure, If I had taken a pic would have posted it for you or a pic for all 8 for that matter.

5. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I'm pretty sure he said that the one yard was 3 hrs not all of them. You havent even seen any of the yards and you can say that you can do all of them in the time that poorman can do one? Give me a break.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

Mr Lucky if you can do all 9 yards in 3 hours I will personally give you the 200 bucks, It cant be done.

7. QualityLawnCare4u

Thank you BC, I would love to have 9 yards in one stop too. but not these kind for 25 each.

Danny

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

1/4 of an acre of bagging and trimming is gonna take you 3 hours???

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a quarter acre, solo, bagged , with lots of trimming is not 3 hrs, unless you are part turtle. but it does sound like 40-50 minutes and a couple barrels of grass. you need at least $50 for this. don't even consider it.

10. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Im lucky to get $25 here.