1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

You want to give me your Gravely..........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Schlepie, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

Have a friend of mine in the tree care business who said I can have his Gravely w/b. He doesn't do the LCo thing anymore and hasn't for years. Basic description is a 36" w/b, 16 hp. He mentioned something about a chain that keeps slipping off and he's tired of taking it to the Gravely shop to repair it. Does this combo sound like a working model? What's the deal with the chain, or does he mean belt? Hope for some input. Thanks.

2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

take it. whats the risk???

sell it and give him a portion if you have no use.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Schlepie wrote:

What's the deal with the chain, or does he mean belt?

I suspect the mower may be more than 6 years old. I'm not sure what year they switched from chain to belt but I think it was more than 6 years ago.

What's the deal with the chain? Well back in the day they used to have a chain that ran from the tranny to a main shaft. Then the "clutches" for the 2 rear tires were mounted to the main shaft. At some point in time they figured out that it was a lot easier to just run simple jackshafts out of the side of the tranny and mount the clutches to them. The chain is easy to fix and is readily available.

This summer I bought a mower for $150 that's similar to the one you're getting for free. I use it for bush-hogging and that's about all it's good for.
  4. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, I'll follow up once I see it.

5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

im betting the chain is on the transmission to the drive shaft . im sure its probly over 10 years old from the late 80's . back in the 80's I worked for a LCO that had 2 new EXmarks that had peerless trannys with the chain drive on them . a couple new sprockets and a chain would probly fix the prob or it mite just need a adjustment