You wanted it, you got it (for Paul J.)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

OK guy’s, here’s doubles on the Hustler WB’s. Note you need to cut only about 1/8” deep on the Saddle for the blades to fit. Further, here’s a pic of the blade speed pulleys for the Hustler WB’s. Tip speed is above 19,000. Also note I’ve left the stock pulley (in black) for comparison to the silver pulley (modification).
    Please note, “At this time” all modifications are “Not endorsed” by the factory, and any responsibility is solely that of those individuals choosing to perform these modifications.
    Pete

saddle.jpg

2. Doc Pete

pic

doubles.jpg

3. Doc Pete

pics

pulleys.jpg

4. Doc Pete

Here's another, IMO add on for the Hustler WB's. These grips are much larger and give a better area for you hand to grip.

grips.jpg

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understand the "silver pulley" modification pic. This looks like it's a single blade spindle pulley that you changed to a smaller one. Is that what this is?

6. Doc Pete

Not it's a 48. The silver pulley the left side blade, the black one is the middle and the right side is not in the picture. I apologize for not showing a complete pic, I assumed everyone knows what a three bladed deck looks like.
    Again, I left the black (stock) pulley on for size comparison.......
    Pete

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Pete
    Thanks for the pics. I am putting doubles on mine this weekend. I am going to see how it does wiht the stock pullys this fall before I think about changing them. I was going to try high lift baldes over standard first. I might get a set of gator type blades yet.

Thanks again Pete. Tour input on hustlers and mowers in general has been a huge help to me.

8. Doc Pete

Paul,
    With the current setup show (5” pulley), at 3,800rpm, the tip speed on the 48 is over 20,000. IMO, that speed with highlift doubles is a bit over the top. Even with the 23hp of the SWB, it really taxes the motor, not to mention a slightly annoying ultra low frequency air noise.
    I’ve been testing different combinations to maximize cutting and dispersion with the least noise pollution, and today I ran a new test, which seems very promising.
    I’m running the outer two spindles at the full 20,000 with double lowlifts, and the middle spindles at the stock 17,000 with double highlifts. This combo has terrific air movement; of course a great cut and blow, and happily very little air noise harmonics.
    Furthermore, there is also plenty of power to mulch leaves and heavy grass. It really amazing the amount of extra power needed to turn highlift at speed, compared to lowlifts.
    FWIW, running the middle spindle at a different rpm got rid of the annoying low frequency harmonics that plagued my early tests. FYI, the current combination of lowlifts (fast) and highlifts (stock) blows better and with more power than single higlifts on "all spindles" each turning the faster rpm. So, what I'm saying is the current combo has more air movement and more reserve power.
    Pete

9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Interesting results Pete. This modifying does ruin your warranty right? Take that into consideration Paul before you touch that baby LOL.

10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I added doubles this weekend and stuff sure files out of that chute. i mowed a yard this evening with it and little pieces of leaves were going at least 4 passes over, almost 20 ft. and that was in some wind. The engine didn't even know that it was turning twice as many blades. but the grass sure did. I love the nice even cut that the hustler deck gives.
    Right now I have high lift blades over stock blades on all spindles all at stock speed. There is some blow out on the left side with leaves but not much.
    Next I think I will try high lift doubles on the far right discharge spindle and double standards on the other two. my lesco did well with the extra lift and air flow at the discharge, maybe the Hustler will also, and maybe it will reduce the blow out on the left.

one more thing Pete, Where did your get the larger grips? That looks like a good idea.