You wont believe this!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clallen03, Aug 19, 2006.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

wrong? well only you can decide that. about 3 or 4 yrs ago, a guy approached matt and asked him if he wanted to buy a stihl fs85 trimmer for $90 bucks. he asked me if i thought we should buy it, and i said, "no way, you know that's stolen. all that does is encourage the guy to steal more when he finds buyers. we don't need stolen property." and that was that.

bottom line is, there is always going to be someone that is going to love getting a "deal" on an item. i just wouldn't feel good about it, i'll pass.

2. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

That sucker is S-M-O-K-I-N

At least let the cops run the #'s and see if you can sell it back to the original owner for $60.

3. MoviePimp

MoviePimp LawnSite Member
    from IN

I would watch my equipment especially well at that clients house now that a thief knows where you mow and now what you got. He might need another $60 and know just how to get it. Of course it could have fallen off the back of a big rig...........yeah, right.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If it was his, he'd know better than to just ask for $60. You just bought yourself a stolen blower...

5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Stolen.......

Ever watch cops? You can be arrested for possession of stolen goods...

Good luck.

6. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Five finger discount right there

7. rickster

rickster LawnSite Member

You can't be that stupid.:nono: Ever heard "You reap what you sow"? Don't see how you could be so excited over someone else's loss.

8. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

There is no difference between you and the person who will actually take some one elses stuff.

9. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like it was stolen, nobody knows for sure but very likely, if some body approached me with the same deal i would jump at it, i would also get the rego number of the car and the persons description, you could also take a photo of the guy and say you want the photo to sastisfy your self thats its a genuine deal...........now what you do is do your best to make sure its not stolen, check serial nos. and any thing else you can think off to sasisfy your self, check with dealers ,police etc.

Some people say dont buy some thing cheap off shady people but its the best chance a fellow lawnie has of getting it back, if i was jodie and matt i would have brought the trimmer and hopefully managed to get it back to the rightful owner......dont forget the photo of the guy ...very important, or the very least rego number or address of the guy that sold it to you

....my advice to you now is to try and find the previous owner, good luck. :usflag:

p.s you said he said wait here and i will get it, must live near by you know his car so he could be off to jail if its stolen lol.

10. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I really hope this thread is a joke.

I recently bought 2 echo trimmers, and my father mentioned that a guy had brought 2 trimmers just like that into a pawnshop that he happened to be at. Turns out the serial numbers matched that of two that were stolen from my local dealership, they got names, address, phone number, just like they were going to take the weedeaters, and then called the police. He only wanted $50 for both.