1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

You wont believe this!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clallen03, Aug 19, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

If someone had done that with my two RedMax's last year, I'd have been more than happy to pay him the $60 so he wouldn't be out of pocket.:)

2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

plus $20 or $30 more for the trouble he went thru.

3. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Always ask for the bill of sale/warranty card etc.

Not that there was one in this case.

I lost $1000+ worth of 2 cycle equipment a year or two ago and spent $7000 on an enclosed trailer just to deter future thieves. It is a very frustrating experience, and I admit that rather than turn your guy down on the sale I would have been looking to take out some aggression on him/get him arrested, and track down the original owner.

4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Definitely hot.....no way would someone sell it for that if they knew what it was worth.

5. mjohnson1

mjohnson1 LawnSite Member

i wonder how long before he steals it back and sells it again

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I thought about this post today. I was out trying to get some stores back on schedule and some guy tries to sell me a coin collection. He was obviously on drugs because he couldn't hardly walk without stumbling.
    It was a very nice collection of very old coins and paper all preserved in those plastic things for coins etc...
    Anyway he said $500 right away and I said no, he said $200 and I said $40, he packed them up and muttered to himself.
    I called the cops and they took a report. The girl in the store gave the cops his name and the cop said this guys father had reported his collection stolen.
    I knew it was stolen and also knew that who ever owned it would have gladly given me my $40 back.
    Wait til you have something stolen and let's see how you feel about those "good deals".

7. kflikt815

kflikt815 LawnSite Member
    from ATL, GA

i work for a company in sandy springs and we recently were working at an apartment complex when three white guys all with long hair stole a weedeater, blower and some gas shears from our truck. we now lock everything up but I guess there has been a group of guys hitting trucks all over the area lately.

8. anj

anj LawnSite Member

I Had About 2k Worth Of Stuff Stolen Off My Trailer. It Sucks When You Know They Sold Your Equipment For $60.00 Bucks To Some One. I Also Bought An Enclosed Trailer To Try To Deter Future Thefts.

9. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

As a former prosecutor, I can tell you, the "savings" from receiving stolen merchandise will never counter act the attorney's fees, public shame and other costs you will eventually incur.

Sorry to read you nearly broke your hand getting out the money to pay for the stolen blower. I hope you hand is healed when you finally get handcuffs put on them.

Luckily, dumb people make public statements, put them on the Internet for the police to use at trial.

You ended you post by stating "What do you think?"

I think you are a thief's best friend!:realmad:

10. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Don't come on here crying when you're ripped off. You know damn well it was hot. If no one ever bought stolen merchandise there would not be a market for it. Thus, there would be fewer thieves. You just gave this guy more reason to continue his trade. Better keep your stuff locked up because the karma boomerang has a way of finding its way back.