you would be surprised at those who pay...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 22, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this has been the worst year, weather wise, that i can recall since i've been in business. severe drought, now heavy non stop rains. i still have some clients on a "per cut" payment arrangement. these are clients from long ago, who i never changed over to the new flat monthly rate billing sysyem. most of the clients pay a flat monthly rate. same price if we mow 4 times a month, or one time, or...not at all. with the drought causing us to skip an average of 2-3 cuts per month, followed by heavy non stop rain which has prevented us from getting there to mow, we are still averaging about 1-2 visits per month to the properties. BUT, i have been billing alot at the full months rate. you'd be surprised how many just send payment in full, without even calling to question it. i've come to the conclusion that charging "per cut" is a moronic thing to do, unless, you vary the "per cut" price, pending growth/weather conditions while maintaining a minimum. in 2006, ALL clients will pay xx per month, come hell or high water, that is the price. i don't care if the house burns down and the lawn catches fire too, they still will pay xx per month, period!

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly what we do, it's called "charge accordingly". And I hope you don't think I'm a moron as well doing it that way.

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

as long as you're charging accordingly

4. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Are you saying that you bill people for work not performed?

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

nope. you see, if i had broken it down, it would have gone like this- regular cut=$30. above average height cut= $45. very high wet cut=$75. cut with high grass and leaves on lawn= $100. so, to avoid all that, they pay a flat monthly fee. how do you do it? if a lawncut is $30, and u need to skip it for 2 weeks cus of rain, then you go there, and it's 12" high, and wet, how much do YOU charge?

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on the customer, $75 - $90...if they didn't like that, they can find someone else.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

word up my hatian brother

8. pines

pines LawnSite Member

OK. Why then are you "surprised" with your lack of response from your clients?

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

first of all, answer the question. how much do you charge, giving the situation i described above. second of all, i am surprised because- in previous years, i would deduct a cut or 2 from the bill, if i missed alot. this year, on alot of properties, i didn't deduct anything. i thought for sure this would create a problem, but to my surprise, very few even questioned it

10. pines

pines LawnSite Member

I do not cut lawns, only landscape. Just asking....you do not have to get your hairs up.