You wreck your vehicle. What do you do???

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by sildoc, Jan 25, 2006.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, Good thing it is not major growing season here as I have time to take care of either getting a used junker to get me through or borrow a truck for a month or two.
    However, I am posting this mainly for the Sol mowing companies that rely on their one vehicle to get them around.
    I was in a minor accident today, however my truck did not fare to well and will be disabled for at least a month.
    What do you do in this situation, having only one truck?
    Do you go out and buy a new truck? borrow the wifes suv and leave here vehicle less with the kids while you work?
    Borrow a vehicle?

One of those things that you hope never happens but should be planed for.
    Also a word of advise that I really have to pass on is the little pamphlet that the insurance company sends you. Ya the one that has all the info in it that you need to write down when you get in an accident. Keep in in the truck and not the file cabinet. Got most of the info just a few minor discrepancies.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Ya that sucks. Good for you it isn't the busy season. Most people have backup mowers right? Same with the truck, even if you're solo, you just GOT to have two. We have 2, use the older one for hauling mulch, landscaping rock for small jobs. And yep, we've needed to use the backup on more than one occassion, infact just last year, when the transmission went in our other truck.
    Nothing worse than feeling rushed when making a big purchase decision, so I don't recommend just rushing out and buying another one. Rent one if the truck won't be down for long. I wouldn't borrow one, I don't like borrowing stuff from people.

3. o it grew landscaping

o it grew landscaping LawnSite Member

i would borrow one from someone, just make it right with them by paying for lets say every mile you put on it, return it with a full tank, and if something happens to it, offer to fix it.....you might not make that much that month because of those expenses, but atleast you will still have your customers and a friend with a full tank...saying you can take it anytime....

4. o it grew landscaping

o it grew landscaping LawnSite Member

Yeah, also what he said....it is good to buy an extra junker, something smaller, that way you can use it to bid or for small jobs and the main truck for the hard work, you wont waste as much gas money...

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Wasn't planning on borrowing one.
    Renting is almost impossible at a regular hertz, avis, enterprise and such don't allow you to tow a trailer or use them comercially. There is one company that does rent for comercial use but they want 70 a day. Screw that.
    I am going to see the adjuster tommarow and see just how long they will have it. 2 weeks fine but a month and woahh. I have been contemplating buying a junker for just this reason and to haul crap I don[t want to put in my main work truck.
    We will see.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I don't think you can go wrong with that choice. You'll be surprised to find out how much you will end up the using the second truck. It's nice to have for all the "dirty" jobs.

7. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree its always nice to have that one beater truck. I have two and the one is in the shop right now. Have you checked uhaul?

kc

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

who hit who? first thing, call lawyer. second thing, use your common sense.

9. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Had a friend in a similar situation a couple years ago, but it was in the spring. Like you said, most car rental companies won't let you tow a trailer with their trucks, but you can do what he did and rent a box van to haul mowers around. He liked it so much that he ended up buying one and using it for the mowing business. He also loved it during leaf season after a few simple modifications.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Most good insurance companys will allow you a loaner vehicle while yours is being repaired or replaced