Young and need advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ChalieKelly, Dec 25, 2006.

1. ChalieKelly

ChalieKelly LawnSite Member

I am currently 19 years old and need some advice on learning some different aspects of landscaping. I have done all the basic landscaping stuff such as cutting lawns, mulching, clean ups, some garden designs, trimming, dealing with customers, all pretty basic stuff. I feel as though I have that stuff down besides the advertising part of it. I had around 30 accounts this past year, but besides that I want to move on to learning hardscaping, landscape design and build, irrigation systems, and turf care. I am currently a sophomore in college and my school doesn't offer any landscaping degree's so I am taking Business Management. I am on a baseball scholarship so I am not looking to transfer schools. Me and my friend both want to start learning everything I listed. I have three years before I want to make this my full time job. That leaves me pretty much three summers to learn this stuff and I want to get it down good. I know I am not going to be perfect, but I want to become the best I can in this amount of time. So basically I was wondering if someone could give me advice on how to go about everything.

Thanks A lot,
    Charlie Kelly
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Best I can tell you is to start reading, and spend about the next year here doing that.
    Thou there is no magic wand or secret formula, all you have to do is read, read, and read.

3. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

4. jbone

jbone LawnSite Member

there are also trade shows you can attend, definitely read ALOT, and maybe even get a job with a company that does those things you listed to get some experience.
  5. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

all good advice there .get your hands on anything you can read.see if you can work with a big company in your area as casual.a day here and there over a year wont hurt
  6. ChalieKelly

Thanks for the advice guys. I planned on getting a job with a big landscaping company around the corner from me on top of just doing my lawns. I appreciate the feedback, keep it coming if there is anymore ideas.

Thanks again
  7. ChalieKelly

Anyone have any more suggestions on the hardscaping and irrigation?