1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Young and wondering

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by robertjr93, Jun 28, 2008.

1. robertjr93

robertjr93 LawnSite Member

I am a 14 year old. i was just wondering what kinda stuff would i need to start my own business besides the equipment any help would be good.

Robert Jefferson

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

As a minor, you likely can't legally own a business, nor get insurance. Just figure out how you would like to advertise...flyers are a great way to start. Print some up and pass them out.
  3. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

Who cares if your a "Under the Table" company. There are now cops or federal agents that are going to stop you because your trying to make some money. Im 19 and im still under the table. Ive got 40 acct. and im working on a 6 field soccer complex. Anyways printout flyers. Get your name out there in the industry and then you can purchase a mower. If i were you i would purchase a used 36" Walk-Behind.
  4. robertjr93

I already have all the equipment i have a
    -Grasshopper 60in deck
    -exmark lazer z 60in deck
    -2 push mowers
    -sthl weed eater
    -a edger
    -a blower
    i have all that i just need to no wat else i need
  5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Wait a minute...you are 14 and have that? WTF?

If I was 14 now, i honestly would NOT get into this business, due to the economy going to **** and everything...but right now I am so far in there is no way to get out. If you don't get BIG (not big solo, but big with multiple crews), you will spend almost ALL of your life mowing/working on equipment/worrying about stuff/etc.
  6. robertjr93

Yep my dad said i can use all the equipment for a small price. and thanks
  7. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

Holy Sh!t kid!!!!!!! I was expecting that you didnt have any equipment yet.
    1.) Is that equipment brand new? 2.) Did your dad purchase it for you?:nono::nono::nono:
  8. robertjr93

just about and no he didnt but he said i can pay him monthly
  9. brianhanson37

brianhanson37 LawnSite Member

I'm like you, 16 almost 17 and want to get into the lawn care biz before this summer ends. I was always afraid to admit my age because I know some people around here are really against the under the table/non insured people. However, I only have two push mowers and two trimmers hoping to buy a edger soon. Don't want to hijack your thread, but anyone thats pointing tips towards Rob, can be assured that your helping more than one person.
  10. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Oh thats good to know. So your not paying taxes and making the rest of use pay your share. Thats not how you do business. I hope the IRS isnt watching. I would suggest in the future to never admit to that.