Lawn Care Forum banner

Young buck Dilemma

10K views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  PenningsLandscaping 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so I am a young buck trying to make a few dollars in this business. My dilemma is my parents trying to run my business. My father is a business man, but has never worked a day for landscape crew in his life and has no idea what running a landscape business is like. He tells people I will cut their yard for next to nothing thinking he is doing me a favor. He has me mowing a 1 1/4 acre property for 40 dollars. This property has over 25 trees. I feel robbed every time I do it. I take what I so seriously And try to leave every lawn looking the best I possibly can. In the mean time, alot of friends and family contact me wanting some work. My sister expects me to mow her yard for free, and apparently so do my parents, because they have jumped down my neck for refusing to do it. The only reason their lawn is not cut is because they are super lazy. Also, a friend of ours contacted me via Facebook wanting me to cut her fathers yard. She just wanted me to cut it, not weedeat or blow it. She told me her husband was going to weedeat over there he just couldnt grt his mower there. So I told her I would much rather her just allow me to take total care of the property, one because this way I know that when I leave the property I know it looks to my standards, and two it would cost her just about the same to weedeat and mow. Apparently I offended her and my family jumped down my throat. Basically every since I started I have tried to take everything I have learned here and execute it in my business to be profitable, but still affordable. But apparently to my parents I am just some punk kid who takes what I am doing to seriously. Sorry for this rant, but I am just so frustrated because I feel torn between two places. I want to respect my family, but I also want to maintain a professional appearance, and not just be little Johnny. I hope you guys can give me some advice, and sorry if I wasted your time

See less See more
#3 ·
First, you're not wasting anyone's time until you post a "how much should I charge?" thread.

As for your problems:
1. Ask your family know to not throw out prices for you. And if they still do, when you return someone's call preface it with "Dad said I may be able to help you out. When's a good time for me to come over, take a look, and give you a price?"

2. Stick with your guns on letting someone else trim, edge, etc., and for the very reason you mentioned. I tell people it's the same price whether I trim, edge, blow....or don't do those things. They always opt in. ;) The graceful way of saying that is "The price I gave you is just for the mowing. The others I throw in for free."

3. I'd never charge my parents for mowing.

4. No one else gets a freebie though. If they get mad, that's their problem, not yours.

#4 ·
It's looking like I might do that as soon as I graduated highschool, and enter into college. Haha! Not because I am wanting to be rebellious, I just know I'll still be bound by "house rules" I know at 18 you're not considered fully an adult. But I still feel that if at 17, which is how old I am now, I can run a small lawn care business, pay mower payment, put gas in equipment and a diesel truck, etc. I guess I am just frustrated with my parents trying to be in every sing facet of my life. Once again, I'm sorry for my rant, but you all are the only people I know that will give advice in the lawn care industry. I literally know no one in this industry. Also, I mow my parents yard no problem. Don't mind that one bit. It's jus the lazy sister and bro-in law that get me.

#6 ·
It's looking like I might do that as soon as I graduated highschool, and enter into college. Haha! Not because I am wanting to be rebellious, I just know I'll still be bound by "house rules" I know at 18 you're not considered fully an adult. But I still feel that if at 17, which is how old I am now, I can run a small lawn care business, pay mower payment, put gas in equipment and a diesel truck, etc. I guess I am just frustrated with my parents trying to be in every sing facet of my life. Once again, I'm sorry for my rant, but you all are the only people I know that will give advice in the lawn care industry. I literally know no one in this industry. Also, I mow my parents yard no problem. Don't mind that one bit. It's jus the lazy sister and bro-in law that get me.
I would take advantage of the situation in all honesty.

As you get busier, and you are working harder, you'll have less time to do the book work and "run" the operation.

Take advantage of the fact that someone (albeit your father) is willing to work on the book end of things.

But, you need to talk to him, maybe drive him around and show him some of the properties you mow and how much you want to charge.

And considering he is a business man, sit down with him and talk numbers and show him your operating costs in relation to what he is charging. Then throw in hypotheticals, such as taking on an employee and how that would affect overhead in the future with those added costs.

If none of that works, then run....... :laugh:

#7 ·
Id just move, it doesn't mean you don't love your parents. Im speaking from experience, I wound up doing a lot of stuff in my younger years by taking my Dads advice. I fell I lost a lot of time and opportunities before I finally made "My own little World". Im not downgrading my Dad, naturally he meant well.

If your life to live, live a clean life and work hard and I quarantee you will be successful. Im not saying to disrespect your parents, youll have to do what they say while you live under their roof.

Hers a book that you and your father should read
http://www.amazon.com/Boundaries-When-Take-Control-Your/dp/0310247454

#8 ·
Id just move, it doesn't mean you don't love your parents. Im speaking from experience, I wound up doing a lot of stuff in my younger years by taking my Dads advice. I fell I lost a lot of time and opportunities before I finally made "My own little World". Im not downgrading my Dad, naturally he meant well.

If your life to live, live a clean life and work hard and I quarantee you will be successful. Im not saying to disrespect your parents, youll have to do what they say while you live under their roof.

Hers a book that you and your father should read
http://www.amazon.com/Boundaries-When-Take-Control-Your/dp/0310247454
Larry, that is the big thing, I am a very devout follower of Christ, and my Mother throws it up in my face when I am stern about not doing something dirt cheap. I need to find a good mentor for this business.

#9 ·
Larry, that is the big thing, I am a very devout follower of Christ, and my Mother throws it up in my face when I am stern about not doing something dirt cheap. I need to find a good mentor for this business.
The truth is, the better you do in your business, the better you will do in the "giving " part of your life.

My Church has a "handyman" Ministry, you may be able to parcipiate in something like that. But keep your business completely separate.

Its also eaiser to share Christ when your happy, and you wont be happy cutting grass on the cheap.

Don't be the "go to " guy because your cheap. Be the "go to" guy because your realiable and have skill sets that most people don't have.

People will abousoutely take advantage of you if you let them.

#10 ·
Stay the course. I'd tell the big sis to take a long walk off a short pier:laugh:

Sorry to say it but your Father is not much of a business & you realize that. If he tells others you'll do it for X amount, Then inform the new client when you first meet or call them of what the realistic price is.

I agree that you should move elsewhere. Your family life is very toxic and dysfunctional. You cannot "change" them and you shouldnt even try to. It is not going to get better. I grew up in a very similar life such as yours & I speak from experience. There are certain family members I no longer have contact with, My Mom being one. I tried my darn-est to please & impress & nothing worked. It took me many yrs to wakeup and realize I could not change my family. I moved on. I'm not saying your at this point mainly because of your age. Maybe after you leave, our family will mellow out eventually.

#11 ·
I do not have anything to add to the good advice others have offered above. Been thinking about this post since I read it this afternoon though. This is just a note of support to say I hope it all works out for you. Prioritize and work on the things at the top of your list.

#12 ·
Thanks guys for all the advice. Let me clarify, my parents aren't evil dictators. I love them to death. It just seems left and right they keep giving me unsolicited advice on what I am doing wrong. My father is a wonderful provider and i have a wonderful mother. I have never struggled for anything in my life. It's just this area we aren't seeing eye to eye on! Haha! I just felt like this needed to be said, because I don't want you all to get the impression I come from some terrible place.

#13 ·
ahh.... the good 'ol "parents doing you a favor" bit. I never had much of an issue with my parents, but when I first started doing this full time my grandfather was very, very bad about telling his 70+ year old friends that I could cut their 1/2+ acre lawns for$15/$20....

Here's the problem. I was raised to honor, respect my elders (you sound similar) and I felt obliged that I had to do so. Honestly at the time I didn't know what my hourly cost of doing business was. I thought if I was bringing in money, I was making money... wrong. I had to have a sit down "man to man" conversation with my grandfather, grandmother, anyone else who was pricing my services for me.

I had to get them to realize, this is what I'm doing for a living! This isn't just something to waste time or to occupy my time. Then finally I had to man up and tell each one of these $15/$20 clients, hey... I'm sorry my family priced this for you, but they don't know what is involved in my business. I'm legal, legit, have insurance, taxes, fuel, payments, etc... I will work with you, but I have to get at least $xx. Most of them were understanding, but there were a few who were still living with prices from the 70's thinking I should be out there with a reel mower doing it for $5 and a Coke.

I have and still do have great parents and grandparents, but when it comes to business I'm the one who writes the checks and pays the bills. They don't. Not being rude, but when someone else has their name on the account I'll listen to them. You have to be loving, but firm.

#14 ·
Family can be either good or bad. To me it sounds like your dad doesn't realize your all grown up now. It certainly sounds like you need to sit down with your parents and talk to them(show them this thread) and tell them the problems they are creating. It's going to create temporary grief for everyone. Wait a week and then you'll know if you need to move out or not. Sometimes parents aren't ready for their babies to grow up and become adults. Good luck

#15 ·
Here is how you get around the friend and family pricing. Give them the phone number of two well know LSO in your area, let them get estimates for lawn services from them. Tell them you will try and beat their prices if you can. Only you know how long it will take to do the property, and how much it will cost to get there and finish the job.

#16 ·
I agree with White Gardens. Show your Dad your business and explain your pricing. Enlist his help in growing your business. He's obviously proud of you and trying to help. He may not know landscaping, but his years of experience in business are valuable.
Good luck.

#17 ·
I agree with White Gardens. Show your Dad your business and explain your pricing. Enlist his help in growing your business. He's obviously proud of you and trying to help. He may not know landscaping, but his years of experience in business are valuable.
Good luck.
Guys thanks for everything. billpiper he really is.

#18 ·
First off let me say I love my parents too. I was in the same boat when I lived at home and my mom use to help me with the books. Huuuge mistake. The problem that happens is then you have to start telling your parents what to do and that doesent fly. With your underpayed lawns what will happen is that you will get a bunch and make good money, because your 17 and living at home. Then once you graduate you will see the cost of the business and be stuck and have to start over. You have to figue that your costing your business $15 a hour working ontop of your expenses. Your parents see this as good money but in reality your business is breaking even. I would tell your dad you will take care of the books and I'd decline working for friends and family unless its an odd job. I'm 22, moved out and my mom still lectures me on how to run my business when she has 0 experence in making a business run right. I sometimes ask my dad for advice because they ran a dairy farm. That's my $0.02

#20 ·
I realize most kids stay at their parents home until there 40 years old. But leaving home at 17 or 18 is not disrespectful and doesn't mean you don't love your parents.
This is wayyyy to minor of an issue to leave the house. He can't even get liability insurance yet and no doubt is still in high school. If you leave you will just mooch off someone else.

#23 ·
Most kids don't graduate at 17 normally.
I am a senior in highschool, that dual enrolls at a community college. I have a 23 ACT and maintain a 3.8 on and will graduate with honors. There is my academic career. Haha!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.