1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Young Gun trying to make his way into the biz!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mowin4Dollas, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Mowin4Dollas

Mowin4Dollas LawnSite Member

Hello!
    I am a Jr. in high school and I am looking to start my lawn business. I am a firm believer in being professional. I am very excited about all the learning I will be doing!

2. BROWNS LAWN CARE

BROWNS LAWN CARE LawnSite Senior Member

3. Mowin4Dollas

I have a blower, weed eater, and a small Deere L110. I am buying a trailer soon. Most likely a 6x10, and I will be buying a ZTR soon because most lawns are an acre or more. I really will have a hard time buying one though because I want to get the right one, so I will have many questions. Especially if I should get diesal or gas.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have general liability insurance yet?

5. Mowin4Dollas

Not yet, I'm not to sure what I'll need. I also am not to sure on the cost. Does anyone have a ballpark number of what it would cost me to get insurance?

6. GreenI.A.

rates are going to vary, your market, years in business, fulltime/parttime, type of equipment, amount of coverage, years of experience, things of that nature are going to affect costs. Do you want coverage that will cover you from theft, damage caused to rented equipment, are a few more factors.

Get quotes from multiple agents, have them each quote you for a few different carriers. I had two different agents quote me the same exact policy from the same insurance carrier, one agent was 10% higher than the other.

All that said, you can probably find a simple 1/2 million dollar policy to cover you for damage you cause to a customer's property or injury you cause, for around $500 +-.

7. Mowin4Dollas

Ok! Anyone know if I can get a business license and a policy being 16?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Call your local chamber of commerce and an insurance agent.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. GreenI.A.

Every state is going to be different and insurance companies are going to have different policies. Some people when under age can have their parents put it in their name and then the child legally works for them. But different states are going to look at this differently, your states department of labor might also say that minors can not use power equipment. Osha also has stricter regs for minors as well.

10. Mowin4Dollas

OK! I will start researching all that. Thank you all very much!