Young Kids and Mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, Mar 15, 2004.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

So what do you think about the age at which one has to be to really mow alot of lawns. I think it really depend on the person. Any ways to my little story. I received a flier today, second one this year so far, so I call the number to see what the deal was.
    I get mom and ask for Zach (person who left flier) and ask him for price of mowings. Over the phone he quotes me seven 7 dollars for frount or 7 dollars for back and 10 for both. Hmm. I educated him a little and gave him Lawnsite to further his education. He is twelve by the way and It is nice to see a youngin out trying to make a little money rather than siting at the mall eating off mom and dad. What would you have done?
  2. 3blades

3blades LawnSite Member

ya thats awsome,,glad you encouraged him.not enough youngsters willing to work or earn anything.thats one major thing missing in our youth today.

last year i trained a few people on a 52 hydro with a velky and it was frustraaiting.the one person who actualy got the point of having one of those machines on a lawn was help i had all season,hell be back this year.........hes my little bro......i told him it was in his blood we were made to cut
  3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

LOL sildoc, how did you manage to post the same thread twice....

i relpied on the first one.
  4. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

That's awesome. I maybe this kid will be a big landscaper someday.
    A friend of mine started a lawn care business in Redmond, Oregon when he was in the 8th grade, I worked for him when he really needed help. He started out with just a mower & had his dad take him to all his lawns, and after about two years he had all commercial grade equipment, a decent s-10 pickup, and a nice trailer. Then for some dumb reason he got into trouble & let his business go to pot. I can just imagine where he'd be now!
    That is a great area to live/work!
  5. BKupfer

BKupfer LawnSite Member

Great encouragement Sildoc, it was truely nice to hear. My boy is almost 12 and for the past 2 years he has mowed grass for the neighbors when they need it, $15 here sometimes $20, he is looking foward to getting out there this spring and trying to make some money.