1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Young labor ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blades of Steel, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I have a neighbor kid I was thinking of taking out this season just to pick up trash and run a 21" mower. He is 15 years old and has nothing to do all summer so I was thinking of giving him a shot to making a little money over the summer. I was going to pay him 6 $ an hour but not make him work like a dog either. If he works out I could pay him more money next season.

What's your take on this idea? Legally or whatever?

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I dont knowabout in your area, but in Ny you cannot employ someone under the age of 18 to operate power equipment. Also your insurance probably wont cover him. Nice idea but with everybody and their "mother" hint hint.......looking to sue......its kinda risky.
  3. Ground Effects NH

Ground Effects NH LawnSite Senior Member

I have been doing this the past two summers.
    So far it has worked out great, for the kid's and me also.
    In my circumstance only need them couple times a week,on my large residential jobs thy weed, dead head flowers, water, fluff mulch, mow "push only", string trim, plant flowers or bulbs, misc.
    Have spoken to all property owners prior and
    ALL thought it was a great idea! One of the owners, daughters works with me (but she will not work on her on property:D ) Have hired young boys and young lady's (some of the young lady's will put the boys too shame) Come spring, will have 7-8 kids calling to work. I stress the attention to detail and it really show! I think the kids enjoy it (keep coming back) ya it's probably the $$

The kids are out of trouble also little cash in there pocket !!

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Put me down for a "no" vote also for the reasons stated above.
  5. cuttingchris

cuttingchris LawnSite Member

i started mowing when i was 14 and so did 2 other guys on my crew
  6. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

i dont mean to sound negative about this as i started real young myself....
  7. Kelly & Sons

Kelly & Sons LawnSite Member

I started when I was 13 years old... I think it's ok... I would let them on any of the riding mowers though... and would probably keep them limited to raking, blowing, watering, planting, etc... I have one of my little sisters friends wash my machinery about once a month... pay him $6 an hour... and he cleans up all the mowers...
  8. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

I am planning to hire a 16-year old buddy of mine next season to assist me for mowing.
  9. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

I have worked my son 4 years this will be his 5th Started out at 5.00 per hour Up to maybe 8.00 this year he can do everything I
    can knows all the jobs and what to at each one.He started at age 13.
  10. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I will check local laws and also talk to my insurance agent. I really need him to pick up trash, run the billy goat push vacuum, drag bags to the curb and hand pull weeds. Other than that he MIGHT push a mower on small stuff. Not too hip on him mowing yet (i have seen his fathers yard).

But all of you make good points in all of your replies.