1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Young LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ax Man, Jun 5, 2004.

How far did you go in school?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2004.
  1. I hav'nt graduated (yet)

18 vote(s)
  2. High School Graduate

21 vote(s)
  3. College or Tech School Graduate

28 vote(s)
  4. Post Graduate Cerrtificate holder

4 vote(s)
  1. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

After having a conversation with one of my clients, I started thinking about this subject.
    1) What do you experienced operators out there think about education?
    2) How far did you go in school?
    3) What advice would you have for a young businessman who is considdering dropping out of school?

For me, I am a beliver in education systems, and how I have learned how to deal with different types of people, I'm not embarassed to speak in front of a group, and also feel that I am able to speak with authority on a number of subjects ( some work related)

Math has prepared me to confidently do estimates, budgets taxes and so on.

I got an AAS degree in Natural Resouces/Park and Recreation Management. This involved course work in Soil Science, Botany, Turfgrass Management, Plant Propagation, Ecology, Forestry, Small engine repair, Welding, Construction and Water Systems just to name a few....

I continue course work as it is available in work related subjects.

Stay in school people, and if you want to run a business thats great, but take the time to learn as you go along, or you will hit a plateau- in business and in life.
  2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 1 quarter in high school left. Then once I graduate I will be going into small engine repair at a local tech college. I have to later on go to get a business degree and a spanish degree because this state speaks no english. But hopefully after that I will be on my way to a happy successful business. I am also looking to go to CU for a landscape design class but I don't know yet.
  3. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the put down Si.. lol

I dropped out three weeks ago and still haven't heard the last complaint..:eek: I don't really want to go into detail about what happened, but it was a conflict with the school, the labor dept, and my business.. I think you know where that went

The way I look at it, as long as I'm doing what I love and making enough to live a good life, that's all that matters..

I guess my advice for everbody else who is still in school, is to stay in school as long as possible.. I really don't miss the homework, but not seeing my friends at all anymore is killing me. I'm finding out quick that I've grown up too fast and haven't lived a "teenage" life. So I guess I would tell everybody else to limit the growth of your business until you are out of school..

Remember to always have a backup plan in case something goes wrong or someone is hurt (including yourself). Always have something to fall back on, if for some reason you cannot continue in this industry any longer.

Enough out of me lol:cool:
  4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

im 16 here, going to be a junior next week :) i plan on staying in school and attending Michigan State Uni. to get a degree in business and something in horticulture :) wish me luck fellas :)
  5. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

Just graduated HS.

In a utopian society I wish everyone could be educated at a college level, but seriously a college education for most jobs is not needed. Maybe we should take a hint from the Germans with their educational/occupational track system. If a student wants to drop out, I say why not let them if they can be a productive part of society. Students who dont' want to be in school and then told to stay there, really don't want to be there. I like vision of No Child Left Behind, but is it realistic? No.
    On the other hand, I think a person contemplating dropout should not make it a myopic decision that are often made in youth. If one has researched, contemplated and knows the downfalls to dropping out and does, so be it..
    In all, its not about your education, its about what you do with it.
  6. BareFootLawn

BareFootLawn LawnSite Member

My opinion is that "school" is overrated.
    Education is what's important.
    I've had a history of being "unqualified" on paper for the job I was currently holding, it doesn't appear to have held me back (at least too far!).
    There are way too many folks out there with all sorts of qualifications, certifications, and letters after their names that have absolutely no clue what they're doing. On the other hand, there can be something said about someone who does know what they're doing, and has certifications that can back them up. You need to prioritize and determine what will suit your business plan the best.
    If you are going to go after high-end commercial accounts, you must be able to market yourself and come across as something more than "joe and a lawnmower... with helpers". You may only have a high school ed, but you better be professional, and project your company as such. Once you've sent out bids, spoken to property managers, sat with store managers, offered advice on different care plans, etc. Lack of education can become a GLARING issue.
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I would never discourage anyone from getting a higher education but, my banker doesn't care about my report card. And they sure don't teach you how to get rich in school. What most people lack is financial education, I know people with a masters that work @ Mickey D's.
  8. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Its not what you know but who you know.
  9. flam41

flam41 LawnSite Member

when I was in college I worked for a lco, I have a degree in criminal justice. I have never quit mowing & now have a full time mowing service. in college I learned I can make more $ w/ less headaces than working for the man.
  10. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

No put downs intended, I have a friend who is considdering the drop out option and was hoping that he might find some insight here from people he respects.