Young Mowers...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by raschmid07, Nov 17, 2005.

1. raschmid07

raschmid07 LawnSite Member

It seems like more and more teenagers are mowing nowadays. I thought it would be interesting to see who all on Lawnsite is in high school and is mowing a decent amount of yards. I am 17 and have been mowing for a few years now, and I was wondering what equipment other teenagers are using and how many accounts they had.

2. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

hi. Im in high school and im 15. I have 9 mowing accounts and like 5 regular landscape maintinence jobs. I have 3 string trimmers 1 blower, 1 walk behind blower, 2 21" mowers and a Crapsman tractor(lol)

3. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Started in highschool now im in college and still doing it in the summer time.

I have a couple 60" ztrs and a couple 48" wb's

4. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i am in high school, im 16 and the most yards i had at one point this season was 19. i use my toro walkbehind with a sulky and a toro push mower and redmax trimmer(BCZ2400S) and an old redmax blower

5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I am 16 and in High School. I have 15 accounts, 2 of them being apartment units. I also work for my girlfriend's uncle's landscaping business during the winter because I do not plow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I am 15 and I have 23 accounts. here is my equipment:

lazer hp 48"
    quick 36
    honda hrc 216
    toro proline, hand push (a BIG MISTAKE, but I got it for $400)
    shindaiwa ht20 hedge trimmer, T231, T261, T270, M2510 w/ trimmer and edger attachments. EB501 blower.
    various hand tools.
    trucut p20s/ with 3.5 honda engine.
    coming soon: a truck.

and my impossibly long wish list, a 428D grasshopper, or lastec 61" articulator (after I sell the exmark of course), and a shindaiwa eb8510.

7. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 16 I have almost 20 accounts and over 20 fall cleanups which is why I just ordered another blower today, EBZ8000, can't wait for it. I have the 7001 now with is pretty powerful itself.

I want a lazer, but yea mowing in highschool is pretty tough becuase then you start school and it gets dark earlier and you have more work (fall cleanups) so basically everything is piled on at once.

8. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just finishing up High school. However Almost all of my classes are AP so I should be ahead by at least half a year if not more when I go to college. I have about 40 weeklys. In the spring It was a little higher with rapid turf growth. I have a 97 f150, 16' tandem trailer, 60" super z, 52" ferris DD, 48" encore belt drive, redmax 3000 trimmer, stihl fs85 trimmer, redmax 8000 and shindaiwa eb630 blowers, hedge trimmers, push blower etc. I am looking to get between 60-80 lawns next year and hiring legit employees. As I'm sure many members on Lawnsite know having emolyees can be different ball game. If anyone would be willing to share information on workers comp or commercial auto I'd love to hear what you have to say.

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Im 15 and am a freshman in high school. I have about 20 regular mowing accounts and about 20-25 cleanups. My equipment is in my signiture and i have a redmax eb7001 comming on tuesday. My parents and I both can't wait till i can drive since they are sick of driving me to jobs and i would be more efficient driving myself there. This site has helped me So much, thank you all!

Can't wait to grow my business some more!!

10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I graduated High school last June, Before that i was on 'Co-op' which allowed me to go to work at 11:00. I would work six hour days and just about all day saturday, so I walked out of school with a full time business. I've been doing it since middle school with my grandfather, I started with his dooley and abunch of old walkbehinds. In 9th grade I had about 35 accounts. In my last year I would skip school on tuesdays and thursdays just so I could get all of my accounts done. I did it because I knew that this is what i was going to do when I graduated, and I had financial obligations.