1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Young One Looking for the Senior's Advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bkdlawnCo, Oct 21, 2005.

1. bkdlawnCo

bkdlawnCo LawnSite Member

Hey Guys I'm currently 16 and for the last couple years have been doing about 10 residential accounts on my own. Now that I've learned a few things from working at a local golf course and helping out on my dad's friends lawn care company i wanted to get started by myself in the summer of 2006. The advice that i'm looking for is if i started business now i would have to wait till my business grows(hopefully) before i can go to school for turf management or simular courses. Should i start growing this year and wait or should i wait to graduate high school and college then start my business? thanks-ben
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

School first.
    No matter what ever happens in life they can't take back an education!
    Plus learn to run a business like a business and not a job it means the differnce between retireing at 50 or going out of business at 30.
  3. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Like Olderthandirt said, learn how to run a business.

The best option of course is a business and turf management degrees. But that might take too much time and money.

I would recommend getting the business degree and then hiring someone who has a turf management degree.

With that said, you can learn an awful lot in the school of hard knocks if you are a good student. It may be a good idea to build your business now and take the classes that you need part time. Also, there are books that you can read and seminars that you can take.

Now that I think about it, what do you do in classes? This would apply particularly to the turf management. You work your way through a text book. How about you find some good books that tell you how to do things and then apply that knowledge in the field and make money while you are learning.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

This is not the NBA, there is little profit in this business.
    I would bet that less than 1% of the people on this site make 100K a year
    also less than 5% more than 50K per year and most just above poverty.
    Put all your efforts into learning As Dirt said learn business and you can do this or any other business. Your profit margin as a part timer is as high as it is going to get. It will only go down as you grow and become more of a business.
    Do this part time as you go to school.

Education is the means to become part of the public without being counted as part of the statistics
  5. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

The head of the nail has been hit!
  6. youngbuck

youngbuck LawnSite Member

i have about 20 residential yards and go to school 14 credit hours for turf management its turf but you Can do it. dont let anyone tell theres no money it bec theres tons of money this is my second year doing it part time and i netted about 12 thousand and profit prolly 8 but i do all my lawns in one day so stick with and dont let anyone tell you you cant make it. it just takes time.
  7. youngbuck

youngbuck LawnSite Member

lol i meant tuff

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I will say it again-
    Your profit margin as a part timer is as high as it is going to get. It will only go down as you grow and become more of a business.
  9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you can work when you get older,

and 12000 profit..... not even enough to live on if you lived in a cardboard box, its different as an adult then as a child when your parents take care of you..... and pay your living expenses
  10. bkdlawnCo

bkdlawnCo LawnSite Member

I was thinking i could get enough business to keep me busy in the summer's for right now to generate a reputation in the next couple of years and see what that brings. If i only get average work like 8-10,000 profit then I will better educate myself, but if i can get good work and make a good profit 15-20,000 i think i'll stick with it...i already do snow removal for my father's construction business making about 9-10,000 profit in the winter...about 25-30,000 profit a year isn't so bad...plus once i graduate high school i don't intend to only do lawn care...I have already established a business plan if this is what i choose and i was hoping by the time i'm 21 i can have a few employees to do lawn care and my real strength is running equipment such as an excavator,backhoe,loader,bull dozer,etc. so i was hoping to do the site work part of landscaping also. My father is looking to partially retire in a couple years so the equipment will be there for my disposal...those are my thoughts...i've put alot of thought into my path in life in the last couple years...let me know what you think... >Ben