Your #1 Choice in Reducing Clippings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Feb 4, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Ok, so this year I am hoping of cutting down on the amount of grass clippings that I bag. What do you guys suggest as the best way to reduce clippings that you have found based on a 7 day mowing schedule of lawns?

I am talking about techniques, blades, etc.

I have before in the past experimented with blades (gators, high lifts, running doubles), double cutting, slower speeds, faster speeds, mowing in dry conditions, and wet conditions.

I have never personally used a mulching kit on my larger mowers, just the smaller ones and I was never happy with it, always left clumps I felt and was more of a mess.

Would a OCDC shute perhaps help at all or a waste of money?

I just want to hear what has worked for people????

2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I mulch exclusively with standard lift blades. Gators for leaf clean-ups. I cut St.Augustine wet or dry and it leaves very few clumps. I just run back over the few clumps that are left and that cleans them up. No bagging ever.

3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do you bag?

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Do you have control of the fertilizer program? Win goes a long way to making mulching possible. What equipment are you running?

5. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

quit mowing and start landscaping!

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Zero experience with bluegrass, which I assume doesn't mulch as well as some of the southern grasses. Spring is the worst time of the year for lush growth, I assume. If it's like Tall Fescue in the South double cutting is what I've had to do. Certain mowers seem to handle it better than others and disperse clippings better.

Once summer arrives and things are drier and grass has "hardened off" more, the Fescue mulches pretty good too. I discharge on it till about mid June, then switch to mulching. You might be able to mulch there by mid summer there too.

An ocdc really doesn't help mulch anything, just keeps clippings from hosing down walks and shrubs.

Some mower decks are better dischargers than others. I know a cheap toro 44" wb I have does great on tall moist grass. No idea why.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

because of how thick the grass is. If I don't, the lawn looks horrible. That is why I was hoping of trying to mulch more. Maybe try some different techinques that I haven't tried or heard of yet.

8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

tiedeman... Sorry I cant help. However im curious. Did you buy your new mower?

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

How about PGR's?? :)

But more to your question, as much as I hate double cutting, I would choose that over bagging and hauling grass away. I just HATE bagging & hauling grass!
    I know there are guys here that do that as a regular part of there service, everyday, but I just can't imagine doing it all the time.

Could you get away with just side discharging and then double cutting the worst parts rather then the whole lawn?

Unless someone is REALLY set up efficiently for bagging and hauling, I think it takes the same or more time then to just double cut where and when needed.

Either way, I will be following this thread, as I would like to cut down on the double cutting on some lawns myself.

10. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I find I can double cut the areas that need it when clumped and it helps the situation fine. I agree bagging sucks and I only do it in the fall when doing the leaves as well.