1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Your actual zero turn mantainance & operation costs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rob's Lawn Care, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Rob's Lawn Care

Rob's Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Texas

What is the actual costs of operating and doing mantainance (including time) on your zero turn mowers? scag, exmark, ferris, hustler, etc.
    Is one less than others? are they all the same? what would the life expentacy be doing all the proper mantaince and things on these mowers be?
  2. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

I read an article that stated the cost of operation, maintenance and replacement was $8.00 per hour. This number works well for me.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've calculated our WB's (52's and 61's) to be $5.50 an hour...our Z's around $7.75 an hour. Also, rates will vary slightly due to differences in purchase price of the machine and price per gallon of fuel.
  4. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

What did you take into effect to calculate you Z expense per hour? :waving:
  5. rodfather

Original purchase price
    Yearly receipt totals for fuel, oil, filters, belts, grease, etc. (including labor to maintain)
    Depreciation expense
    Replacement cost

Add them all up and divide by 3000 (normal hours life expectancy) of the machine...hope that helps.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

My local Toro dealer has a spread sheet for alot of mowers and trimmers, this is based on what the commercial guys in our area have turned in to him for the last 12-15 years and he has it averaged out
    Toro Z master 60'' cut kawasaki power-------$7.44
    Toro Z master 72'' cut kawa liguid cool-------$6.86
  7. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Rod that somewhat helps but how do you estimate depreciation expense and not knowing what the cost of a new one would be when your 3000 hrs is up how do you figure replacement cost? :waving:
  8. rodfather

Depreciation expense I get from my younger CPA brother who does all our books. Replacement cost is original purchase price plus % inflation increase for X number of years...not an exact number, but something to work with and plan/budget.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

This is pretty close to my numbers...........$5-$8 per hour of machine time.
  10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

A JD dealer once told me a good rule of thumb is .01% of the cost of the machine. $10,000 machine x .01% = $10 per hr. for fuel, maintainance, replacement.

This only works if you put a lot of hours on the machine per year, keep it for a couple of years or longer.

If only a few hrs. are put on per year, and it is traded every year, it will be higher.