1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Your advice/tips for learning to use a velke??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Jul 19, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

The 2 wheeled velke I ordered should be here in a few days. You guys always have some great advice and since I've not owned one of these before I'd appreciate your tips/advice on how to learn to operate it as quickly as possible and minimize the chance of any stuipd (or embarrssing ) moves on my part. It'll be attached to an Ex 36 Viking Hydro...thanks much...(and yes I know that practice is the best teacher and I plan to do that but some advice up front would be helpful) The advice you gave on learning to operate my Lazer HP 2 years ago was right on the money
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Find a wide open parking lot to get acquainted with it first. Then a wide open lawn with minimal obstacles. Next try some lawns with varying degree of slope to help you figure out where you can stand and where you must get off and walk.

Hope that helps...:)
  3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Keep your t-shirt tucked in. It will catch on the handles if you do tight turns and then will get wrapped up in the controls. Practice is the only true teacher.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Yes as Rod said, start on a parking lot or big driveway. Also, start off at walking speed, gradually increasing as you feel more comfortable. Start off making small circle turns then move to zero turns as you get more comfortable. Take your time ;)
  5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

good tips guys...and yes the shirt is ALWAYS..tucked in ...where it belongs. Have one employee who hates me for always telling him we're not at a rock concert...tuck the shirt in and put the cap on straight or else ...go home....lol
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I forgot to mention, keep it greased good because it gets more of a workout than the other greaseable parts on the mower. Also, make sure your grips are on really tight. When I got my Jungle Wheels it was raining slightly and I couldn't wait to try them out. I went out and got faster and faster until I was locking up one side and using only the inside hand on the mower. I came to the end of the row (the street) locked up the inside wheel and the grip came off sending me tumbling out into the street, in the rain. Use hair spray to get the grips on tight.
  7. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Like others have said, go to practice areas like a parking lot or wide open property. You'll have the hang of it in just a few hours in the field.

One thing not related to "operation" - if you have tubeless tires on that thing just go ahead and spend the money on the foam no-worry ones. Well worth it.
  8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

And do not try to back up at all unless your W/B is dual hyrdro.

You could end up with a twisted ankle, as the Velke will hold your shoes captive.

Otherwise just start mowing.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would start off in an open area and just pratice turn after turn at various speeds.

Then move onto hilly areas..that is where the fun begins
  10. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I know its stupid, whats a velke?????