"Your aerator gave my lawn grubs"

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mikesturf, Nov 1, 2007.

1. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I aerated a lawn last year, called the guy to do it again this year. He said that he has grubs this year and he had to put down grass seed and Grub X to take care of it and doesn't want me digging up this new seedlings-I agreed. Then he says that he never had grubs before I came around with the aerator and says my aerator gave him grubs:hammerhead: You just have to love customers!:dizzy:

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have heard that before! not about aeration but just I never had grubs before you started treating the lawn, like I planted them there. I tell the customer that the thicker and nicer their lawn is the better possibility of the having grubs! they like to find a nice place to lay their eggs so their young will have plenty to eat when they hatch!

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

and u gave the lawn cooties tooooo.

4. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

lol
    I've heard just the opposite from people: "You need to aerate, because my lawn has grubs". People just don't understand that there are just no quick fixes for most lawn problems.

5. terryenterprises

terryenterprises LawnSite Member

Every yard has grubs. But 1 of 5 lawns will see damage. Maybe you havent had damage in 20 years, but this year is your year. That is my response to that.

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I agree with Terry.

Need to break it down to the agronomics.

1) I would share with them that aeration has nothing to do with grubs.
    2) Share with them the life cycle of a grub and explain how every year is different.
    2) Would share with them the postivies and negatives of core aeration....Oh wait there are no negatives.

After you have told them this hopefully they will believe and trust you. If not....feel them out and I would drop them. They will just be blaming something else on you in the future.

I have a couple customers that are the "My neighbor said that........" or "I heard on TV......" and I just explain that this is what I do for a living and that I will not lead them wrong.

But if they didn't trust me...I would drop them.

7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Back in the '80s I worked for a company that got 'cheap' for their last app every fall, and told us to use clumpy 46-0-0 , often before the turf stopped growing!
    I had the Northern KY route one fall, and I swear I had at least 2 of those same customers claim the next summer, when they got moles, that I had planted 'grub eggs' in their yards the prior fall! :hammerhead:
    Aaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!!

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

While the clumpy sounds a bit off, straight urea is the about the best thing you can do as a winterizer for cool season grass. Don't let Scott's fool you into thinking you need some crazy blend...

9. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

That's another thread! This one's supposed to be 'light' remember?
    But since you brought it up! :laugh:
    It's not in the name of the fertilizer bag, it's about the fertilizer's 'cleanliness' overall, and most importantly it's all about the correct analysis and the % of SCU and putting it down at the right time.
    Straight Urea (46-0-0) should never be applied on GROWING turf, PERIOD. It's completely irresponsible to the turf. :cool2:

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you serious?