1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

your aerator punctured my sprinkler lines!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ant, Sep 28, 2005.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

and i not paying you till you fix my lines!

i am sorry mr. x but i cant be responsible for systems that are not installed properly.

before we aerated i gave you instructions and it stated that we were not responsible for damaged lines.

he is pissed and said he will contact me..

you irrigations guys get blamed for shallow pipes all the time ..
    should i have handled it differently?
  2. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

ou should not be held responsible for this.
    The Irrigation contractor should have installed the lines deep enough. In my opinon, it's totally the fault of the Irrigation contractor and a poor install technique.
    Let me guess, the customer went with the lowest bid for the sprinkler system.
    We have installed thousands of systems and I can honestly say that we have NEVER had a line damaged from an aerator
  3. DGI

DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich

You should have a contract with indemnity clauses. What exactly are your "instructions"?
  4. DGI

DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich

I was going to touch on this, but decided not to. Often this will be the case, at least in my experience. After heads in the corners, and to a lesser extent, spacing/head count designed to minimize overspray, depth of lines is often the next thing to go.
  5. Aran

Aran LawnSite Member

I agree, you should never have to worry about hitting lines with an areator. Poor wokmanship of others should not be your responsibility. The owner should be pissed at the irrigation contractor not you. Good Luck!
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

irrigation pipes that were placed properly can drift up from frost heave in cold climates.

How deep does your aerator go?
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

How about "don't aerate" ?? - I always wonder about the practice on residentials. I mean, you got a neighborhood of excellent lawns. But this one lawn is sitting atop some mutant patch of soil that <i>must</i> be aerated. Oh, sure. Unless you have a golf course or athletic field, why bother? Nothing wrong with the revenue, but poly pipe on residential systems can be anywhere up to the bottom of the grass roots, as time passes and frost and heave raises the pipe.
  8. viennagardens

viennagardens LawnSite Member

Payment should be before the job
    I charge $70 for 1000sq ft or less
    so at that small of an amount I require payment before
    Probably 75% percent of my customers are not at home so I have to require payment be left
    I always have a supply of sprinkler heads with me in case I break one
    and always ask the homeowner if the system was working correctly before you arrive