Your all time favorite tool,mower,trimmer,etc

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottb, Oct 3, 2000.

1. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

I know this is a little different than usual but we have all had things we really loved to use. Mine was a John Deere 870 4wd tractor. Only 27hp but man was it strong for its size. I would invent things to do just to drive it. But alas I got married and my wife really neede a car now no more 870,man I miss that tractor.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Ironically enough my favorite machine is also the one I hate the most! My 50" Pro 150 GRAVEly. The reason I like this machine is because I am constantly doing something to it. I love to modify machines. Just last week I added gussets to the deck baffling that made a world of difference and replaced all of the wheel bearings ($175.00). The reason I hate this machine is because it has taken so much time, effort and money to get it to cut grass the way it does. My next project for this machine is... Replace the 14 HP Kaw with a 17 HP twin Kaw. Another $800.00.

3. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey...

My favorite tool is my custom Stratocaster. Oh yeah .. and I like using the 6200 redmax. (When it's working ok, 'eh Scotty?!?!)

stick-Nine

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, another musician! Last year I picked up an 83 Tele that had been severely abused. Someone had removed the original pickups and installed a couple of Dimarzio Humbuckers in their place. I brought it home and removed everything from the body and shot it with some Porche Targa Red. Then I got a new Fender Pickup for the neck, coil tapped the Dimarzio at the bridge and got a new pearl pick guard. This one sweet playing, sweet sounding and sweet looking axe.

5. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Sears 3hp leaf vac/blower. Yes, a Sears Craftsman. It had a horizontal fan on it that would suck up leaves into a bag. It was terrible as a vaccuum, but take the bag off, and it was the best blower.

It not only blew the leaves to the side, but it also vaccuumed the ground directly underneath the machine.

I picked it up for $50 at a yard sale in the late '80's, but it has since been retired. I should try to re-build that thing one of these days.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If you would have asked me this 10 years ago, I would have said my JD 430, because I really like the Yanmar diesel. The sound of those 3 cylinders hammering away was like music to my ears. If you would have asked me this as the beginning of this season, I would have said my 22 HP 60" Chopper, because it has given me so many hours of good service, it's now up to 3,137 hours. Since your asking now, it has to be my new 2001 60" Chopper with the Yanmar diesel engine. What a combination for me. When I got it in June, I didn't even turn the music on in my hearing protectors for over a week, but I did wear them over my ears. I wanted to be able to hear the engine, because it was my dream machine. A ZTR with a Yanmar :D

7. dhicks

dhicks Member

My favorite toys: 1) Hustler Hydro W/B (I prefer using this machine on properties less than 1.5 acres). The Hustler is a great mower and the cut is great. I prefer it to my Toro Z-Master 62". 2) RedMax EB7000. I love the power of this machine. My biggest dislike of the EB7000 it is a gas hog.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

My favorite has to be my stihl 028 .
    Its just made to keep on cutting.
    My fist lawn care mower was a used
    rear engine snapper with briggs 8
    1978. Inever could get it to quit.
    A good machine .

9. Turf Kutter

Turf Kutter LawnSite Member

My favorite trimmer and edger are stihl.

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

As of right now it has to be the steiner its an 98 ahs 4500+hrs on it and hasnt broke down in 8yrs.The last time it did was in 92 and it was our own fault,its a tough machine.Its a 420 4x4 with 60" deck,48" dozer blade,york rake,4ft loader,powerblower,and a disc edger