Your Best advertising

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Rangerob05, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Rangerob05

Rangerob05 LawnSite Member

Ok, what is or was your best advertising. I know that word of mouth is the best. Have no customers so...

Either run and ad local paper or mailings or anything else..

thanks

rob

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to send you an private message. Check it out.

3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

what about the rest of us, Jim?
    :( :( :(

4. NorrisG

NorrisG LawnSite Member

This is my first year to have a sign on the back of my trailer, it has brought in several calls. Paid for itself quickly....

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Without having the benefit of this site when I started out in 1995 I will tell you what I did.
    I wrote a letter explaining the situation I was in. New to lawn care, want to offer personal service, I am the owner ect. It was a sincere to the point explanation. I made 250 copies and hit every newspaper box that I could. I got 13 customers and worked my tail off for them. Then word of mouth got me just about all the rest. Once the door opens and you are found to be reputable, trustworthy and fair your business will grow. Good Luck.

6. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I pass out fliers. I have had very good luck with fliers as I can target neighborhoods I want to do business in. I find for every hundred I pass out I get a customer. Im not making this up. Me and my brother will go out spend a hour passing out fliers and you can pass out 100-200 easy in a hour, it just matters how far apart the houses are spaced. I never knock on their door, or walk in their grass. I always use the sidewalk and put them in the door handle or in the screen door. The flier has a pick of me and my bro with our equipment and a list of stuff we do along with our phone number and e-mail. Every year I update the photo as I add on new stuff. I do this cause Im young so I have to convince people we are professional right of the bat. Also family members of customers and neighbors provide a good source of work to. i attached the photo for this years flier.

barrington brothers2 photo.jpg

7. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Barrington, nice arsenal ya got there. Just one question though, are your streets brick or stamped concrete? Either way, they look mighty fine, ours are just littered with potholes!

Chris

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I started off with flyers. I know of a couple small companies that distributed them. Also, I took out ads in little community newsletters. Pretty much everything else came from referrals

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

10. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

We have a mixture of streets. We try to keep the streets original cause bricks look so much nicer than concrete and the city is to cheap the redo all the old stuff. The pick was taken at my old mans house. Its over a 100 years old. Really neat place, was a hippie commune in the 60's. Its right in the middle of the city and these dirty hippies kept goats in the yard lol.