Your best pond set up

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by allinearth, Jul 23, 2010.

1. eludemann

eludemann LawnSite Member

If your'e still building the pond, you should try a wet-well. Depending on the amount of water needed, it is a pipe a few feet in from the shore straight down 6 to 8 feet with a smaller pipe into the water 90 degrees at least 4' down. The end needs mesh or something to keep the fish out. The intake hangs into the vertical pipe in cleaner water. We have used 16" to 48" for different size pumps. There is a formula if you google wet well.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  2. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

I am actually considering a variation of this without the pipe going into the pond. I would like to use gravel with some kind of barrier adjacent to the pond.

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

dirty water sucks

4. rlpsystems

rlpsystems LawnSite Senior Member

Is that her nick name

5. regularguy

regularguy LawnSite Member

You may have heard the phrase that something "sucks pond water" there is a reason for that saying.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

love that dirty water....

7. allinearth

It was suggested by a agri irrigation supply that I use a sand media filter. Anyone got experience with these?

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

So you like to clean filters? You wouldn't prefer the system to just run without needing attention?

9. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

got to work on a 5hp 4" pipe water fall /feature. fun stuff

10. allinearth

Since I'm running drip irrigation off it, I thought it might be a good idea to filter first since I don't want every emitter clogged within a couple hours.:rolleyes: Unless you are talking about self flushing/cleaning filters by Arkal. The ones I have priced seem to be out of my budget at the moment.:cry: