Your best tip EVER!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by EliteImpressions, Oct 4, 2004.

1. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I wanted to start a thread with each member contributing one tip that either helped them out, saved them some time or money, etc. Please answer this so that we all can learn something. Even the veterens can learn something too, since sometimes the young guns stumble onto something by accident.

- When new customers sign up, have them put down a deposit to hold their spot for the upcomming season. This also allows you to pay for some of your early bills (new equipment, new parts, etc.).

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi EliteImpressions,

Always market and advertise, so you will have more job choices to pick from. Potentially more profitable ones.

Island Lawn likes this.
  3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Don't take on every job.

Never decrease your price for the same amount of work. Always stick by your quote, and reduce the amount of work to be done if people want a lower price.

Reinvest as much as you can into the company, as this is the only way it can grow.

Wear safety equipment at all times! (ear plugs, glasses, gloves, etc.)

4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that is some of the best advice I have heard in a while.

5. stexasrookie

stexasrookie LawnSite Member

Dont be afraid to charge, people want to pay you. Not to say over charge, just a fair price for what you are doing. Also stand by your quote even if your losing money, let the customer know that your losing money and that you arent going to renegotiate, and you will most likely get more work. Just adjust your rate next time.

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Hey, that's FOUR tips! But all good advice.

My tip, take on anything you can while "getting started", then as your schedule fills, weed-out/drop the lower profit and out-of-the-way accounts.

7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Kiss your daughters goodnight and wake up when they do in the morning. There is nothing like a daughters smile to put your day into perspective.

fcl01 likes this.
  8. " Green side up"

fcl01 likes this.
  9. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

Try and show no favoritism.I try to do the same quality work on a $20 yard
    as I would on a $200 yard. Easier said than done,I know,but your consistency
    will pay off in the long haul.

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

1.use a Mantis for planting small shrubs/trees...cuts time by at least 50% and the soil is pulverized for perfect planting conditions.

2. I think this one came from 65Hoss originally..paraphrasing...
    "2 ways to lose money..lowball a bid just to get the job, or sit on the couch because your bid was rejected because it was not the lowest...sitting on the couch is better...amen