Your bid is too low....give me another bid!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Sep 29, 2003.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Use to mow this lawn for a real estate firm. Well new tenants moved in and they did not need my service any longer, so I quit. Before I quit though, the tenants before must of had a contract with somebody because the property got fertilized and nobody lived there to water. The lawn got fried. The real estate firm tell me to go give a bid for verticutt and overseed. Without looking at the damage I gave a bid of $120....it's about 4K sq ft. I thought this sounded fair enough. I am spending around $20 in material and should take about an hour.

I get a call from the owner of the real estate firm and he tells me that is way too low. "Matt" he says, "don't short-change yourself. Go take another look at the property and call me on Monday with your new bid". I am thinking.....oooookkkkkk. Well I go look at it and well there is some dead matted up grass that I might rake up....but really the verticutter will cut through to it to the ground. I guess I will make him happy and add $20 to the estimate.

This doesn't happen often enough, but I felt like I needed to share this. I never thought of myself as a lowballer, just a fair business man.

I know this has happened to others so please share.

Thanks
    MATT

2. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I was maintaining a guys office for 6 months are so, and he asked for a bid for his house, I bid it at $150 month, He tells me thats what the last guy was charging, lets make it $160.:D I still do his house 2 years later. Now I need to add $10:p

3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I just finished a hedge trimming job last week that took 4 hours to complete. I did the job for $150 plus $40 to haul the clippings to a landfill. Total time involved 4 hours and 35 minutes. The homeowner was very happy with the work and the price. He said the last LCO charged $375 for the same service and took 3 hours to complete. Maybe I did underbid but I felt that the price was fair and the customer was satisfied. If I did underbid, it was not deliberate and I certainly don't consider myself a scrub.

4. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

DennisF, IMO you were too low

5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I agree and I will adjust my bids for hedge and shrub work upward. I orginally set $35 per hour as a baseline for hedge and shrub trimming. I probably will raise that to $50 and see if customers feel that is a fair price. Even at $50 I might still be on the low side.

6. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

"don't short-change yourself. Go take another look at the property and call me on Monday with your new bid"

I need a few of these clients