Your Biggest Fear?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bridging Financial, Feb 10, 2014.

1. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

That one day my wife will make me get a real job!

2. sharperimagelawns

sharperimagelawns LawnSite Member

Failure, and the consequences of it.

3. cmo

cmo LawnSite Member

Failure: when you quit a good paying job ( my last day was 12/31/13 to start a business failure is my biggest fear, and affecting my families life.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Drought as others have said....

5. Bridging Financial

Bridging Financial LawnSite Member

Great feedback. Now I challenge you to face your fears by saving cash for a months of expenses for a drought, or purchase a disability insurance policy, save cash for a slow period, reduce liabilities and increase assets.

Take control over fear, and focus on the big picture of your business.

6. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I can sit for about 3 yrs without doing anything.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

^^^ This. Being a solo op, I know that if I'm injured where I cannot work for some period of time, I'm done.

In 18 years, I've not missed a day of work because of illness or injury. Has the streak run its course?

Yes, weather is an issue, but there is always work of some kind. Schedules get interrupted, but I just keep working when I can. Last Spring, the work started three weeks later than in 2012. I never made up that lost work, despite having a better-than-average July and August. Having a weather-dependent service, one has to know the pitfalls.

8. shane-pa

shane-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I do a lot of work by myself. Do a lot of trimming hedges and weedeating and brushcutting. I always check for bees and snakes. Not that I am afraid of them, I just don't want to be bitten or stung. I am allergic to most bees and rattlesnakes are prevalent in North Central PA. I have life insurance but not disability.

9. zwhit81

zwhit81 LawnSite Member

My biggest fear is being able to "make it" in the business. I have a very good business but it is a side job. I am looking to have 40accounts this year and gross $45,000+. That being said my fear has kept me at my current job. I fear that I would not be able to quit my current job and keep the middle class standard of living I have now. I would need to "bring home" $75,000 per year to make up for my full time salary and retirement benefits plus what I am making on the side now. $45,000 gross to $75,000 net is a big leap. I figured it would take 3years and that is 3years of fear!

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

40 clients isn't that many, even for a solo.

$45k from 40 clients isn't that much either, have you thought about up selling?

Judging from what you say your gross is, it looks like you have 40 small clients, whom you do lawn mowing and spring clean up for.

Is there other things you can do for your existing clients?
    Do you ever see other services there?
    Do any of them get fertilizer?
    Maybe you could get a pesticide license and offer tick spray or prevent their dandelions?

Aeration?

Maybe some seasonal color?

just a few ideas.

40 clients, that average 2 grand of work per year is 80k.

Without much push, if you had each client average 1500 and you had 50 of them that would be $75k.

75k is closer than you think, you biggest obstacle is your day job right now.

Don't concern yourself with what you get for benefits right now.
    What is the basics you need, to not go into debt heavily and just plain surviveĀ….
    focus on making that, in the short term.