your bush trimming skills need some work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 7, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what a winner i had today. she wants plants put in(about 30) which she purchased herself. she wants 7 yds of topsoil, 5 yds of mulch. shrubbery trimmed. a little of this and that. about 10 man hrs of miscelanious labor,charged hourly, and the rest is formulated. i started to give her a quote, she said, "paul, i trust you, do u think u can keep it under $4000?" she calls me paul because she's nuts, my name is right on my shirt, and i've known her for 2 yrs. anyhow.......4 grand???? i was thinking less than 2, but i agreed to keep it under 4. she demanded that we remove all weeds from beds, even though 4-5 inches of topsoil, and 2-3 inches of mulch were going on top. ok, no problem, it's your time clock. then, she insisted we remove the one inch layer of exsisting mulch....again, no problem, i'm on an hourly rate. then, we planted 4 arbs, which she insisted we move, "a little to the right, no, wait, a little to the left...." then, she critisized my trimming skills. i trimmed her crappy hollies that were sparse and nasty, not much i could do. she says, "paul, please don't take offense, but your trimming skills are terrible." ha ha ha, i thought to myself, "wait till you see how bad my math skills are, when i hand you the bill....7 yds of topsoil, that's around $1200 i believe." unreal. would you deal with it, if you were getting paid by the hour? or would you get disgusted and tell her get someone else?
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It's all in the math bob,it's all in the math.
    Just keep reminding yourself how much you jawsey folks like filet mignon................
  3. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Ok ma'am we are done that will be $3950.
  4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Your shorting yourself 50 bucks. I would tell her that we adjusted some pricing to get it below the 4000 mark, and have it come in at $4000

5. houston

houston LawnSite Member

Paul, er I mean Bobby,

What's the problem? She said your trimming skills are terrible. So what? Also, my customers can call me anything they want as long as they are paying and make the check out correctly. At your rate of dropping customers you are going to have to move to another town and start over (I believe you said you live in a small town).

What you should do is just what you said you would do, charge her by the hour and let her rant and rave and change things all she wants until she is happy, she's paying. When finished hand her a bill with a price for the hours worked and the material you furnished plus your markup.

6. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is what you tell her. Sally(whether thats her name or not call her Sally!) Sally I tried my hardest but I couldnt keep it under 4 grand. You final balance is $4550.
  7. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

How funny --Hey paul errr I mean bobby do you ever have any posts that arent bad---dont take me wrong I read everyone of your posts usually :0)
  8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think it's hilarious that he gets you guys to treat these scenarios like they really happened. More crazy situations in a month than most of us have had in 10 years.

I'm waiting for you to write a screenplay based on your numerous wild customer experiences, Bobby.
  9. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

[bush trimming skills sic.] lol lol lol he always get me to laugh! Bobby, don't change a thing in your threads...hell I took to looking at the archives....good stuff!

Some of those things he threads have happened to me....just I couldn't laugh at myself at the time.....
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

bruce is just jealous