Your business' appearance...What do you think?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tomk123, May 21, 2004.

1. tomk123

tomk123 LawnSite Member

Hi,
    As we all know there is a rush of people in the lawn care business all over the place, some looking good, some not. I was looking for your opinion on how your business sticks out to rise over the competition. I understand a business license and insurance is a large part of this, but at the time I am not old enough for these things. Thanks

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I think a good business image is not necessarily a must have but a definate "good thing to have and strive to keep." I try to stand out as much as possible. I am the only LCO in town that runs a John Deere Green trailer. Sometimes I just wear what I want to , but I normally try to wear my work shirts when I go places. I have found that just shaking hands and making yourself visible is a great way to make yourself stick otu above the normal crowd.

3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

have a picture of a naked lady painted on the trailer.
    actually just dress nicely when giving price quotes. I have an encclosed trailer and usually pull it around almost everywhere i go. When i go to work i park it so everyone passing can see it (5,000 cars each waay, each day...) That works well!

trevor

4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I always say yes mam or sir to show respect. Shake there hands when the opportunity presents itself. Take your hat off when you speak to them or enter their home . Shave. Shower. Don't wear cloths two days in a row (Sure laugh...I've seen it happen!) Keep your truck and equipment clean, within reason anyway. Your cloths should at least be clean...no holes.

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Thats the one thing no one in my area does, keep their equipment clean! my mower and other equipment are cleaned once a week and they look new all the time. I think it makes you stand out and not look like a bum. Also a nice uniform, a good looking truck, and quality service.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Clean equipment?
    Wish I had the time.................
    Appearance is important,but not more important than quality and good manners towards customers.

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

No kidding. If I had time to clean my equipment, I wouldn't have enough work.

Part of it is appearance. Part is presentation. Part is attitude. Some days after a long day I'm dirty and nasty looking, nothing you can do about that after a long day. But I can still be professional and give a great presentation when speaking to customers.

One thing my partner pointed out to me a long time ago is to take off my sunglasses and hat so people can look you in the eyes. I think that makes people more at ease and comfortable with you.

:D

8. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Every person you see is a potential client so wave or talk to them be friendly .

If you give them the time of day maybe they'll give it to you.

9. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Its all about respect if you wont it you have to give it

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

all you need is personal attention and quick response in this business