1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Your business size!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by germann, Mar 12, 2003.

1. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

Everybody-Please post two things to give a picture of your business size. My brother thinks this site is mostly one man bands. I say a lot have 2 or more crews.
    1. How many full time and part time employees do you have?
    2. How many crews do you run? Include if they are maintenance or installation.

For us-
    1. 3 brother/owners. 2 full time and one part time.
    2. One crew. Maint.
  2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Stump Biz-Solo...unless large clean up and topsoil...then 1 part-timer or 1 temp worker.( keeps me running)

Lawn service...Solo... until work load hits....then 1 part-timer or temp worker.( only 20 accounts)

Tractor service...solo...part-timers or temp workers as needed.(just started this part of my biz)

Clean ups....all the help I can get.

I'm a one band man.....with lots of equipment.
  3. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have 135 customer for mowing (just picked up 5 more this week) 1 full time emplyee works 70 hrs a week and me who works more like 80-90 (and I wonder why I get burnt out)

I have 2 full crew setups but I only run 1 man per crew so some people would not consider me running 2 crews I guess I think it is more effcient that way

In the fall I always hire on 2 more guys to help with leaf cleanup

Everyweekend about we will do a landscaping job and I have several highschool guys I hire to do the brute work for us and my dad is a landscape architect so he plans and helps out.

I also have a plow and when it snows I have 3 plow jobs to keep me busy all night.
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Most members of the site are pretty small. There are some here that have large operations, but just don't have the time to visit the site as much as others. I for one would like to the see the "profile" of the members be more detailed. I am not saying dollar figures, but more detailed to services offered, years in business, number of employees and items of that nature.

5. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

3 employees

Mow with a 3 man crew 3 days a week

Irrigation with 3-4 man crew 2-3 days a week along with other jobs besides mowing

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We have 4 trucks, 4 trailers, 4 full time (including myself), bobcat, chipper, shop, spray rig, and of course the equipment. Part time varies in numbers. We have one main maintenance crew, and another setup for the slack. Tree truck, with experienced climbers. And installation, construction crew. Were not huge, but we do ok.

As far as our services, our slogan should say it all. :cool:
  7. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

We have 4 employees (including myself) doing landscape maintenance and light landscaping Spring-Fall. We service 80 + properties, commercial and residential. In the winter we run 2 plow trucks a bobcat, and I offer residential snow blowing as well.
  8. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Your brother is incorrect.
  9. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

You heard it from the man..."Your brother is incorrect." That operation isn't small for sure.

We have myself + 3 full time guys all year, + 6 part timers, and a couple subcontractors that are used regularly
  10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

4 Full Time (2 Salary) Year Round & 2 Full "Part-Time" extra's during Summer