1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

your "cards"

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tthomass, Jun 8, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

So, what credit cards are ya'll using and what benefits are you receiving?

airline miles, % $ back, $ certificates, $ off next vehicle..........etc

i'm in the hunt for a card and i pay in full each month so i don't care about % rates
  2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear Discovery is best
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Capital One Business Visa.
    No annual fee.
    21.9% apr, the usual grace period except for cash advances.

Benefits: Pay bill online anytime, no checks, no stamps, no fees (except if you pay late of course).
    Online screens: Last statement, and current (in-progress) page, takes 1-2 days to update remaining credit, 2-3 days for purchase info.
    Airline miles: 1 mile per dollar spent, expiration is 5 years from month / year of accrual.
    Trade-in for cash ratio: 1 dollar per 100 miles, 10,000 miles minimum = $100 check, works in 10,000 mile increments.
    Best trade-in deal: Miles for cash back.
    Actual benny: 1% cash back for all that you spend.

Drawback: They spam you a little bit but it's only a little.
  4. tthomass

from N. VA

question about the air miles..........say i get 5000 miles fo rspending $5000 (easy)..............can I just use them whenver............plenty of places I could fly round trip and be less than 5000 miles..........whats the stipulations on the miles?

so on top of 1 mile per $1 you also get the 1% cash back?

5. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Most airline flights with rewards miles use in excess of 20000 miles even for short trips. You do not fly one mile for every reward mile you have earned.:laugh: :laugh:

I use Amex almost exclusively with virtually no spending limits, monthly payoff, and 1 mile for every dollar. No limits on rewards miles transfers to my Continental onepass acct. It takes 60K miles to fly rdtrip to the US from here with a little difficulty in finding open seats.
  6. tthomass

from N. VA

thats what i've never understood about stupid airline miles..........why does it take say 20,000 miles you've accumulated to do a 10,000 mile round trip? or however they work, i don't know

can someone explain?
  7. D and H Seasonal Services

D and H Seasonal Services LawnSite Member
    from SE, Pa

Try the American Express Green card. No interest because it is to be paid in full evry month.
  8. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

I have a speedway card, it gives me a 4% rebate each month on all gas and store items I purchase there, and 1% on anything else I charge. Last year I put my Exmark on my card and paid it iff the same month, and got a nice $140 rebate...
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Capital One Business Visa's mile rewards program explains:
    How many miles do I need to fly free?
    Miles / Free Ticket
    12,500 / Saver (tickets up to $150)
    25,000 / Standard (tickets from $150.01 to $350)
    50,000 / Super (tickets from $350.01 to $600)
    100x the ticket price / Unlimited (tickets more than $600)

So, as you can see, if you were to trade miles for cash back, although you CAN'T trade 25k miles for cash (it's either 20k or 30k), if you COULD do it, you'd get 250 dollars cash back instead of a ticket from 150-350, I'm just the guy I'll take my 250 and see you later.

With cash back it's real simple: 10,000 miles = 100 dollars, and you trade miles in 10,000 increments, so 100 dollars at a time.

With airline miles, it's borderline, you might come out ahead but you might not. With the other benefits it's even worse, I've decided I'll just take the cash so I don't have to think about it.

As for the cash back option, someone else asked this and the answer is you get 1 penny per mile cash back, so 10,000 miles = $100.00
    So, $100.00 / 10,000 = 0.01 or 1 percent, but you don't get both, I was saying it is the same thing as getting 1%.